X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (2Gx2) on Crosshair IV Formula 890FX

Hello G.Skill team,
    hello forum members,

as the title says, I'm trying to run a pair of G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO (2Gx2) on my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX. This shouldn't be a problem as this RAM is suggested on the QVL for this motherboard.

BUT it does not even boot...
    As my board got this MemOK! GO Button I've used it, for my suprise, it finally booted up. I've entered the bios to check the settings and this is what I found:

DRAM Speed: 800MHz
    Timings: 6-6-6-18-2T
    DRAM Voltage: 1,5V

I changed everything to it's usual specs (1600MHz / 7-8-7-24-2T / 1,35V) and tried to boot but without success. Same thing again - MemOK! GO Button.
    Same odd - false - settings.

Okay, made my way over to the g.skill forum and read around in here.
    Found THIS post and tried my best again. Result - MemOK! GO Button.
    Same odd - false - settings.

I can set the specs to what ever I want, everything better than the odd ones makes my pc unable to boot or unstable as hell.

Tried the same with some other RAM form the QVL (not as good as the g.skill ones ) with more or less the same result.

Final conclusion:
    I can't help it but it really feels like my brand new motherboard is already defective OR is there any thing else I could try?

I'm happy about each and every suggestion

For further information about the singel hardwares specs, please take a look at my signature and the pages I've linked too.

Kind regards,
    Yakomo

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I ran several memtest86+ tests with different settings. All I can say is, that the results are unreliable because sometimes I get errors 1k+ and sometimes I can run it for "ages" without any errors even with the same specs they failed before.
    Last edited by Yakomo; 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM. Reason: Ooops, false title - sorry / please refer to my EDIT

Try booting with only one stick in the black slot.
    If that doesn't work, boot with the other stick (also in the black slot).
    If you can successfully boot with one stick, manaully enter the timings & voltage.
    Then install the second stick.

What bios version ae you running?

You may need to update the bios to get these sticks to run stable.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
      Try booting with only one stick in the black slot.
      If that doesn't work, boot with the other stick (also in the black slot).
      If you can successfully boot with one stick, manaully enter the timings & voltage.
      Then install the second stick.

What bios version ae you running?

You may need to update the bios to get these sticks to run stable.
      Hello YourNemesis007
      thank you very much for responding

I'm using ROM Version 1304.

I've already done so and the result is as so often - the same.
      The thing which makes the entire thing so crazy (atleast in my eyes) is, that some memtest86+ test can run for more than 3h without problems and sometimes I get it like the attached pictures show (dualchannel / red slots).

I'll test each stick in each DIMM for about one houre and I'll post the pictures here too.

Any further suggestions are as always very welcome

Comment

For whatever reason, many Crosshair IV Formula owners have found greater stability using the black slots only.
        I have tested this myself extensively, I can agree 100% on this matter.
        Funny thing is, ASUS suggests using the red slots for better overclocking results...NOT!
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Hello again,

short news. Ran my pc for about 8h today with only one of the two 2GB RAM-Sticks.
          I've used DIMM_A1 (red) for 4h and DIMM_B1 (black) for another 4h.

Timings set to 7-8-7-24-2N 1600Mhz @ 1,4V.
          No errors, no BSODs and no other "crazy ****"

I'll test the same with the second RAM-Stick tomorrow.
          I hope I'm allowed to RMA this RAM-Kit if there occur errors or other misterious things.

Would be nice to have some feedback from the G.Skill staff too.

Thanks,
          Yakomo

Comment

Yes, we can surely accept RMA if you continue to have a problem.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yeah I have never got these sticks to work at 1.35v on any platform, 1.4v on some and 1.45v on my latest Sabertooth P67 in order for them to be stable at their XMP rated speeds of 1600-7-8-7-24-CR2. And that is running anything from 2/4/6 sticks, running 4 atm in my new rig.

Quite simply, different boards and different memory controllers seem to effect it a lot.

But the XMP settings should really not give 1.35v if they do not seem to work in most peoples systems

Comment

Mhhhhh!!!

I've tried and tried and tried over again but I can't run any of the two sticks on the second DIMM. Not on DIMM_A2 nor DIMM_B2

That should solve the secret why I can't run them as DualChannel because it does not even work as SingleChannel when I use any of them on DIMM_A2 or DIMM_B2

Well, I guess that this indicates a problem with my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX.

Please correct my if I'm terribly wrong and there is a simple solution for my problem.

My ASUS M4A78T-E never worked well, no matter which RAM, BSODs every day.... will this be my second ASUS board that never works?

----------------------------------------------

EDIT: Okay, here I am again!

I've been to my best friend today because he has the same motherboard.
                He can't run the sticks too.

Well, I can't help it but it really looks like I do have defective RAM-Sticks AND a defective motherboard.

I guess I have to believe in what memtest86+ says and that's why I ask to RMA my RAM please.

Greetings,
                Yakomo
                Last edited by Yakomo; 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: Please take a look at the EDIT

Comment

No problem.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X