OS not recognizing all RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS not recognizing all RAM

I have a MSI Big Bang mobo MS-7666 X58.......my processor is intel i7-950 LGA1366......My RAM is G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ.......I loaded Windows 7 64bit using only one stick of Ram with no problems and I can add all six sticks with no apparent problem but windows is only showing 3.99 GB. I have tried 4 sticks = 8GB and 6 sticks =12GB but windows still shows only 3.99 GB.... all sticks are recognized by the mobo bios and the bios is up to date as are all drivers

update to prior post

I have re-installed ram one stick at a time...re-booting each stick and I have gotten 4 sticks installed with windows reading 7.99GB and system operating normal. But when I install the 5th stick it slows the system to a crawl but windows is now recognizing it. My intel processor activity is practically nil

Comment

Try boosting the memory controller voltage, or DRAM Voltage.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

increased dram voltage but

I increased the dram voltage up to 1.75 volts but still when I install the fifth stick of ram it bogs the os down.

Comment

os not recognizing ram

I removed all the ram and replaced it with Corsair XMS DDR3 TR3X3G1333C9 G to see if the system would work with all six memory slots full and it is working fine. This only gives me 6gb of memory though. I had no success with increasing the dram voltage before...do I need to run the gskill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ at 1333 instead of 1600? I can't figure out why only 4 sticks (8 gb) run fine but not more. Do I need to increase dram voltage to maximum? I am using MSI control panel...are you familiar with that?

Comment

The kits may not be fully compatible because they are only guaranteed for 6GB. Triple channel is very selective, so it is important to purchase a 12GB kit if you need 12GB.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well I priced a 12gb kit and it was around $170.....soooo, I guess I'll live with less for awhile. I do appreciate your time and effort to solve my dilemma. Can you tell me what it is about the 12gb kit that is different than the two sets of 6GBNQ's that I have? Hope that's not a dumb question but it would be nice to know so I don't repeat my mistake. Thank you,Jack

Comment

Your kit is $140, the 3 x 4GB kit is $160, so only a $20 difference. If you'd like, you can send those in + $20 and we can send you the 12GB kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-358-_-Product

There are no dumb questions. If you have a question, probably 50 more people have the same exact question. The reason why two kits may not work together is because they slightly differ. With all hardware, even though they are the same exact model/revision/etc., they will still slightly differ due to production. With dual and triple channel motherboards, they must be identical to be able to work with each other. For this reason, we must have kits that are all guaranteed and proven to work together. Otherwise we could sell single modules and people can purchase as many as they need.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

That would be great! Where do I send these two kits and my $20.00 to? I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Complete the RMA procedures.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

When you email the RMA dept the form, let them know that you want to exchange for that kit above.

At the very top of the RMA form, input this: "Please exchange RMA +$20 for F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL"

Once we receive it, we will be able to process your request.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have received my RMA # and authorization to return ram for exchange. The instructions make no mention of how I am to pay the $20 difference. Do I include a personal check or will they send a bill? I sure appreciate your help and advice. Thamk you!

Comment

If you input the information on top of the RMA form, they have already made note of it. Send in that form along with your existing two 6GB kits + $20, and they will process your RMA and send you the 12GB kit.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X