Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper RAM, Formula III board not working

Hello,

I just ordered some [ SNIPER ] F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (4Gx2) memory ( http://gskill.com/products.php?index=338 ). I installed it, but the motherboard doesn't even beep when I boot up. I have the ASUS Maximus III ( http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0ODEkxv4cmlXkqmr ).

The RAM that I currently have in the board is working, and that is F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ( http://gskill.com/products.php?index=222 ).

CPU is Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

What could be going wrong? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by mittleider; 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM.

Test one at a time to see if one is bad causing the problem.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes it does appear that one of the sticks is bad. It won't boot with one of the sticks in, but the other one works.

Another issue that I'm having is that it can see 8gb installed, however, I only have 2gb usable. I went through the microsoft troubleshooting steps but did not seem to make a difference.

I don't want to RMA this memory. :/ This is the second set I've received. Very frustrating. Should I go with something other than the Sniper memory next time?

Comment

Shouldn't have this problem, but you can try RipJaws if you want, they are also red, so matches well with that motherboard.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Shouldn't have which problem? Do you know why windows 7 won't use the other 6gb of memory? I tried resetting the CMOS but didn't help.

It says now 8gb memory installed, 2gb usable.

Comment

Okay, I think the problem might be different from what I originally expected. I don't think one of the RAM sticks is bad.

CASE1: I tried the sniper memory in the A1 slot and then the board won't POST.

CASE2: When I put my original memory in A1 and B1 and a new sniper memory in the A2 slot, the computer boots, but shows 8GB RAM, 2GB usable. (I put both sticks of the sniper memory in the A2 slot and both give the same result - so it's not the memory).

CASE3: When I put the original memory in A1 and B1, and the new sniper memory in A2 and B2, the board doesn't boot.

Not really sure what is going on here.

Any ideas?

Comment

You can't use them together, it must be one kit or the other. Did you try Sniper memory in A1 B1?

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm scared to try it. Are you sure nothing can go wrong?

Since it doesn't work with 1 stick in the A1 slot, does it even have a chance that it will work in A1 and B1?

Comment

If both modules did not work in A1, then it has no chance. You'll want to look into RMA for the mobo or memory, or both to start fresh.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Alright, thanks. I'll RMA the sniper stuff. I didn't know I couldn't mix/match kits. I could swear that I've done it before.

So, I checked the PDF on ASUS' website to see if I would be able to run two 4 modules of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, but they do not have this information in the PDF.

Since I already have two modules of this ram, it would be a cheap upgrade. Can you tell me if I would be able to run 4 modules of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL with this board?

Comment

Not with dual and triple channel motherboards. They must be as similar as possible, and having different capacity totally changes things up.

I don't see why one Sniper module would not boot up in A1.. if you say the motherboard is fine.. I'd have to assume both Sniper modules were bad?

Instead of trying to match another 4GB kit, I would suggest swapping your current kit for a 2 x 4GB like the Sniper you have there, but again, I'm just a little baffled as to why neither Sniper module worked..

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Alright, I'll RMA the Sniper ones. I don't think I'll get a new kit of the sniper. It worries me putting this memory in and taking it out. It makes me cringe to put any memory in this motherboard though... It's flimsy and the slots are too tight.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X