Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill RAM Issue

Hey guys

ok basically, i just got myself a 955 AMD Phenom 2 ( compatable with most DDR3 ), did my research, but im still lost

along with a nice 4GB set of G.Skill Ripjaw F3-1200CL8D-4GBRM

and the mobo is an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 - the ram is QVL Listed

now thankfully. theres no actual physical problems, the only issue i have is the BIOS settings, on auto the timers are all set to 9-9-9-24-40-1T and this doesnt seem right

the timers 8-8-8-24 and i have no clue about that 40 or 1T

Ok now im a total noob with ram, i can get to the bios area where you change the timers, and frequencys but i have NO idea what settings to change, i need a step by step guide here lol

i changed the DRAM Frequency to 1600 from 1333 and ive had no troubles, just need the timers right

Base timings should be the 8-8-8-24, DRAM Voltage @ 1.6 to 1.65, and CR at 2T (may show up at 2N) instead of 1T or 1N

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok after setting the settings you suggested, it runs, theres no BSOD , no heat problems, no physical issue

But the system seems sluggish, im yet to try the ram at 1333 to see if theres a difference, ill be testing soon

but my games have little lag spikes that shouldnt be there, and fps drops. and programs lag before they load

It started been fairly notice-able when i upped the voltages to 1.6 using the DRAM Voltage OC tool

which im not sure is the right hting in the bios to set, but when i did, the 1.6 numbers went yellow/red, like a warning its to high

so im wondering if voltage is causing it, maybe the mobo cant handle 1.6, or if the 955 Phenom 2 simply doesnt like 1600 8-8-8-24 Ram

Comment

It may be lagging a bit via the MC, try raising your CPU/NB by .04 to see if that smooths it out, also what's your tRFC timing at?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

DRAM Timing Config:
          DRAM CAS# Latency 8 Auto
          DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 8 Auto
          DRAM RAS# PRE Time 8 Auto
          DRAM RAS# ACT Time 24 Auto
          DRAM READ to PRE Time 5 Auto
          DRAM Row Cycle Time 34 Auto
          DRAM Write Recovery Time 10 Auto
          DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay 4 Auto

DRAM READ To WRITE Delay 8 Auto
          DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD) 2 Auto
          DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SD) 5 Auto
          DRAM WRITE To WRITE Timing 4 Auto
          DRAM READ To READ Timing 4 Auto
          DRAM REF Cycle Time 110 Auto
          DRAM Refresh Rate 7.8 Auto
          DRAM Command Rate 2T Auto

those were the settings i tried suggested from a friend with a six core processor and 1.6v rails with 1600 Mhz settings - i have no idea what tRCT is

after a while, i decided to just leave things default, 1333, its still a bloody fast pc with those settings so im not bothered

also

after 4 hours not touching the pc, my monitor went black ( normal ) but the motherboard had a red light next to the ram, bright, and it wouldnt bring the monitor back on

that was when i had the 1.6v/1600 settings
          Last edited by nankura; 03-11-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

ok, update

after rebooting with the red light, it said "overclock failed!" and i entered bios and loaded settings default

i dropped everything to the motherboards default in bios, no overclocking etc, the rams set itself to 1333Mhz and 9-8-9-24 timers

seems it be incapability with the 955 Phenom 2 , or the fact that i didnt OC the processor with the OC'd ram. which im not willing to do till i get better cooling

Atm my temps are 32-42 idle on a hot day. 56 max under load, and 66 max using prime95

Which doesnt bother me much its still better than my old pc lol. but it seems fine, 1 hour with prime95, no crash or anything

everythings fine when the rams at 1333, i think i could still set low timers and enjoy my ddr3 RAM at 1333 till i get a six-core processor

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

everything under 1333Mhz is fine, no lag, no problems, everythings dandy

But i still think 1600 shouldnt be a problem regardless of the 955, im not sure what that red light meant, maybe im just overreacting cause it seemed to run fine at 1600 and not sluggish when i used those settings i menchoned a phew posts up

Comment

The red light prob indicates high heat or voltage, can try lowering the voltages while maintaining stability, prob want to start w/ CPU/NB, the CPU

Tman

Comment

you see im a complete noob and have no idea what cpu/nb is and whats safe and whats not

Comment

in the voltages area of the BIOS look for something to the effect of CPU/NB VOLTAGE it is prob around 1.4 or 1.3 can try lowering it by .01 at a time - i.e. if at 1.4 try 1.39, then 1.38 etc. The other that may be high will prob be CPU VOLTAGE or vCore VOLTAGE, something like that and again is prob up around 1.4 something, do the same from where ever it's at....if still stuck, see if you can take some pictures of your BIOS screens and post them here

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X