Hi guys,
    I just had a new gaming pc put together,
    I7 2600k
    DP67BG mobo
    HD 6950 2gb
    intel ssd 80gb
    corsair gs800 psu
    ram - F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

The problem is, the 4gb single stick is rated 1600mhz, its running at 1333. now im a beginner in overclocking and stuff, i tried the XMP setting in the bios, that runs the mem smooth in normal operations, but while gaming, the ati drivers crash and say they have recoverd - the games close right there. When i disable the setting, games run fine. I also tried manual setting of ram speed, same results. PLz help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rangaji; 02-26-2011, 02:20 AM. Reason: missing info

increase the voltage on the IMC. If that doesn't work, try also increasing the CPU voltage a notch. The IMC can become unstable on any processor when the overclocks are too high. Should the i7 2600K be running at stock speeds then a slight increase on the IMC should be fine. IMC = Integrated Memory Controller

PS... since it's the video card crashing, it's not the RAM. If it was the RAM, you'd be getting page memory errors. If you're overclocking your card, I assume it's the OCs making things unstable for your GPU. However dude, if you have a small case, airflow should be a b*tch to come by hence the card not getting the proper (cool) airflow to cool the card, causing overheating. I had a GPU right under my 4870x2. Because it was right under, the fans couldn't obtain the airflow needed to cool the GPUs properly, causing freezes, bluescreens, crashes galore. Once I removed that card and placed it in a lower slot on my motherboard, everything ran perfectly. Bear that in mind going forward.

http://forums.amd.com/game/ - Please register there to get further assistance with your GPU issues. Make sure to use the search button just in case someone has the same case and gpu as you do. I'm sure there are a few out there. Look at all the parts you ordered. Great PSU, great RAM, great CPU and GPU too. If you have a mid-tower case, please get rid of it unless you intend at some point to water cool your components. Airflow IMO is one of the biggest issues gamers have to date. My first and last mid tower case was a Sonata 2 from Antec. Since then, I've purchased a Cosmos S, ATCS 840, and HAF-X all from coolermaster and each are wicked sick cases. Recommend all, or either of the 3 to purchase!
    Last edited by Onslaught2k3; 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM. Reason: addt'l info for OP.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
    ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
    16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
    EVGA G2 750W
    Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
    ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
    4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
    ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
    SeaSonic X-760 PSU
    G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

hey thanks for info, I did oc my GPU with TRIXXX, but even before all that, this issue showed up, so I kinda stared playing with 1333 for ram, I am posting cuz I get some lag in splitsecond velocoty, in some places, i figured with this config, i shudnt be having any trouble in any gamy at maxed out settings. Coming to what you said, I am using a mid tower, CM 430 elite, i checked the airflow, I have one in front thru the hdd slots, one side panel for inflow, and top and back for exits, since im running a single gpu setup, its quite cool, and even if it does overheat, i change the fan settings in trixxx to cool the gpu down. I will try the voltage thing and post again.

Comment

.....hi again,
        tried inc the voltage, no luck, tried till 1.55 - 1.58v. now iv come back to 1333mhz. running everything fine at high settings. so im wondering to for a second 4gig to make it a dual channel setup with 8gig, would it make any diff in my gaming ? running at 1333? what am i missing at 1333 compared to 1600? performance gain is much to notice?

but when i tried this time before settling for 1333, i did get a few of BSoDs' . so i ran memtest86+, IT CAME OUT CLEAN. no errors.....

any suggestion anyone?

Comment

the voltages on the IMC (integrated memory controller) is independent from the voltages of the RAM itself. You have to find that voltage setting and hit it up a notch or two to see if the OCs will stabilize. You haven't said whether you've tried that yet. There's also a chance the processor is getting too stressed (hot) during operations due to too high voltages. This is something I can't read off to you as I'm not using your machine.
          EVGA G2 750W

Intel s1155 2600K proc
          SeaSonic X-760 PSU

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Hard reset the BIOS to clear any glitches.

Then enable XMP or manually input settings. You should have no problems at all. If continue to, send them in for RMA to see if a new one works better.

For a dual channel kit, you want the G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

hi,

BIOS is updated, and just updated the GPU drivers. tried the ram settings manually and run the hd6950 at stock settings. no luck. games like modern warfare, split second, far cry2, crash sooner than the others. since mine is a p67 chipset on intel board, I have ordered a replacement, which should be arriving by mid march. so, will be going for a dual channel setup and will try everything all over . hope that works. Thanks guys for the help. will get back to this once again with the updated hardware...

also will try hard reset of bios, still didnt give a shot at that one.

Comment

@Onslaught2k3

hey, ya i tried the ram voltage, Im not getting what exactly is IMC voltage?....since im not much familiar with that...and processor is running cool enough, monitoring that with the intel desktop utilities, never alerted me of any undue increase in the heat ?> is that enough or shud i be using some other software to monitor that?..

Comment

I know how you feel. I used to be new to this as well and was frustrating. Since I'm not a master at the Intel thing, here is a link that is best suited to your questions:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

Sandy Bridge information is bountiful and abundant! I almost envy you wealthy peeps who can afford the best desktop platform currently available! lol
                  EVGA G2 750W

Intel s1155 2600K proc
                  SeaSonic X-760 PSU

Comment

@onsslt

thanks for the link...helpful....btw..im not wealthy, just lucky, i waited 2 years for this build...

and i also tried the hard reset...and i did miss out on one things...i had not got the latest of bios ..so updated yesterday....not checked with games yet with the xmp setting as the admin suggested...so let me try that today...

Comment

hi guys,
                      I updated my bios, and the response is, with me GPU at stock, split second and modern warfare 2 crash, but they run for a longer time than the previous crashes.

Comment

Working...
                      X