X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with RAM purchase please!

Alright here goes! I have:

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Running 2 of the vid cards in Crossfire X

KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Just so you know I have plenty of juice for it

All that was pulled straight from Newegg titles, the MB has been upgraded to the latest BIOS as of yesterday also to try and fix a freezing issue I keep having. It didn't help so I'm replacing the RAM to see if that does it.

I'm looking at getting 16 gigs of RAM, Not a big issue on the price really, just would like to be around $200-250 if possible, never overclocked before even though I've had the perfect set up for it, probably going to start messing with it after I liquid cool the CPU, VGA's and RAM though. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about GSkill RAM just read a lot of good things about it so figured I would give it a whirl.

For those that are interested in my old RAM I was running

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory w/ Red LEDs Model BL3KIT25664TR1608

Yes I know it was triple channel but I was super tired when I ordered it and didn't think about it till it was installed.

With your CPU and mobo, think I'd suggest the Snipers, F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH....it's a 1333 set...but also at CL7 will provide high performance and be easier on the AMDs MC than would a 1600/16GB set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I've seen the snipers, are they good gaming memory? I'm a big gamer and would like something that can handle that along with multi tasking as well.

Comment

You have the C2 revision of the 965, I hope you don't have problems running with all dimms populated.
        As you may know, the C3 revision of the Denab lineup was developed with a much improved IMC.
        C3 revisions were actually developed so that boards could run with 8GB+ and all dimms populated.
        Post back here if you need help running these modules with your C2 965.
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

****!

I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing that out for me, maybe I should just get a new cpu. If I stick with the one I have, I'm assuming I should just stick to 2x4 gig? In that case what do you reccommend for me? The other model number from the previous post was for ripjaw memory, is that what was meant?

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure why you feel that you need 16GB anyways.
            4GB is plenty for most home PC's, while 8GB would be minor overkill.
            You will probably have an easier time running 2x4GB memory with your C2 965.
            I suggest going with 2x4GB now and see how it goes, you can always add more later.
            When all dimms are populated, the stress on the C2 IMC is usually more than it can handle.
            And we have seen problems with the C2's with 8GB memory in only two dimms.
            Again, it biols down to stress on the IMC (Internal Memory Controller) of the C2's.

FYI, the Thuban CPU's (X6 i.e. 1090T, etc.) have even a better IMC and should run 8-16GB just fine.
            Last edited by NemesisChild; 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM.
            ASUS Crosshair V Formula
            Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

now what....

Nd Well it doesn't really matter anymore because now my comp won't load windows, it just says it has failed to start. I'm running 2 raptor 150 gig in RAID 0 and ran memtest86 last night to check the memory I had in my rig. I was super tired so I went to sleep after about 20 mins thinking it would run the test and then wait for user input before doing anything, apparently it ran continously for about 6.5 hours. When I woke up the next morning it was running still so exited out of it and then windows wouldn't start. Startuop repair can't fix it and there's no restore points either. I tried to install windows on a different hdd i had laying around and for vista it says "windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" there's a 300 gig raptor and 3 2.5" hdds 80 gig, 120 gig and a 320 gig 7200 rpm one too. I stuck my RAID 0 raptors into a RAID enclosure I have and plugged them into a different computer hoping that would let me see them but it says the drive is corrupted. I can't figure this out so any help would be totally appreciated! I'm gonna go drink a Miller Light now before I go crazy....

Comment

My recommendation: at least a 6 pack of Miller Lite..lol
                Two thoughts: your PSU is dying or your RAID array is seriously corrupt.
                This is why I never use a RAID array anymore, it isn't worth the hassle.
                I would say format one drive at a time and see if Windows will install.
                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Alright so I thought I would update this before I got to many "it might be this" responses I decided to reinstall my Raptors just to get them off my desk so they didnt get damaged on accident and then for some reason I pushed the power button, well I'm typing this response from my computer and not my phone like the last one. I remembered that this has happened before to me where Windows doesnt start and then I remove my Raptors and they get jostled around, reinstalled and suddenly it works again. Apparently I need to replace one of them. Thanks for the quick response though, definatley going for that Miller Light now!

Comment

May want to check the RAID itself again - putting it in another system may be SOL unless you've loaded the same drivers for the raid itself - same with your current system may want to try using the install DVD tell it you want to add the RAID drivers and do a repair through the install DVD, that will often take care of it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Will it never end....?

Ok so I bought an SSD to put my operating system on so I could lose the RAID 0 and not have to worry about that stuff anymore. I got home and go to install Windows and it keeps saying it can't find any partitions it can use. Doesn't matter what I try to install it on, HDD, SSD, Flashdrive, memory card, old, brand new, nothing will work. Any ideas? And of course my Bios is now saying my #6 Master (one of my RAID HDD's) has a bad S.M.A.R.T. controller or something along those lines so I'm not to sure what to do now...

Comment

Going to make a clean install? If so may want to disconnect the other drives and just work w/ the SSD

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X