Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory timings help (will this even work?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory timings help (will this even work?)

Hello,

I recently purchased the RipJaw F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL 4x2GB memory. I thought this would work with my MSI P35 Platinum Combo, but I'm having trouble getting the memory setting stable.

I did actually get it to post and boot into windows, but it bluescreens quickly thereafter. After looking into it more, the MSI site claims it will only support 4GB of DDR3 memory, but I did get it to boot with both modules installed, so I'm hopeful.

So,
    Question 1: Should I bother to try or is compatibility too far off?
    Question 2: What is the best memory timings/BIOS settings for this Motherboard?

I'm working on a memory-intensive project right now and was really looking for a quick upgrade to move things along. Help is appreciated.

CPU: LGA775 Intel Core Duo E8500

It is rated for only 4GB of DDR3 - won't say it will work for sure, but could try flassing the latest BIOS and then try running the 8GB at 800 instead of 1066 w/ stock timings or slightly tighter say starting at 6-6-6-18 add .05 to the DRAM voltage and .05 to .075 to the NB voltage......and just maybe.........been able to do this w/ a couple of similar mobos w/ no ill effects

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Awesome -- thanks. Just didn't know where to start. This helps a lot (at least a glimmer of hope)

I'll post back with my success or otherwise.

BTW -- what is the current BIOS? I'm on 1.3.

Comment

May have to contact MSI, didn't see the mobo o their site

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No problem -- thought you might know a specific BIOS version based on your reply. I'm pretty sure I have the latest.

Thanks again for the quick replies! Wish me luck

Comment

Thanks for the help!
            I changed the timings as suggested and underclocked the ram to 800 and it was able to boot into windows. After a substantial Prime95 run, I upped the ram to 999 (with stock cpu speed) and it seems to be holding as well.

Oddly, Memtest86+ keeps locking up -- not reporting a failure, but simply stops responding. I think it may have to do the version I'm using -- it's a little dated, but since prime95 is performing well, I'm not all that worried about it.

Thanks again!

Comment

Ran the latest version of Memtest last night and it ran 5 passes with no errors. Looks like I may be in good shape.

Comment

Sounds like a winner, glad I could help....next step if you want since it's stable would b to inch it up if so desired...the gain actually will be minimal, so may want to consider just staying at your current stable settings

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll stay put for a while. If nothing else, just to ensure it's stable for the long run.

Comment

Working...
                  X