Help with 2x4GB GSkill 1600 memory issue - P67 - changing voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 2x4GB GSkill 1600 memory issue - P67 - changing voltage

Basically my problem is whenever I run my 1600 CL8 GSkill 2x4GB RAM on my Asus 67 Deluxe at spec, I get BSOD upon booting into Windows.

Everything runs fine at 1333 CL9 (which the system defaults to in BIOS).

I have tried XMP as well as manually setting RAM to 1600 CL8...but same issue.

It has been suggested by GSkill and Gary Key (Asus) to up my RAM voltage to 1.6 or 1.625. My retailer said to try 1.55v.

I am new to voltages and settings, etc...so, before I go ahead and tweak things, I have some questions...

1) Do I just directly just raise the voltage and try booting and see what happens? Or do I go incrementally up to a higher voltage, booting each time (ie 1.51, 1.52, 1.53, etc...)

2) I heard the 2600k is not supposed to have RAM voltages above 1.58...true? Why is higher being suggested then?

3) Any other things to try?

BTW...I am running BIOS 1053 at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

Test one stick at a time first. The memory should work at what it's rated for, meaning XMP should work fine.

To see if the memory can stabilize with a higher voltage, you can just go up in increments of .02-.05.

The DRAM Voltage limitation is just to avoid user damage, the CPU will have no problem with 1.60V.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Turns out 1 stick was bad.

We tested them separately (had to remove CPU cooler) and 1 caused the BSOD, the other worked fine.

What a headache!...all this for 1 bad stick....hundreds of emails and hours of testing...now have to drive across the city to return the RAM.

Not sure if I will go GSkill or not this time.

This was my 1st and only experience with Gskill and it was a bad one. I think I might try Corsair or OCZ or Mushkin.

I will see what the others on the overlocking forums say...then make my decision.

I wish GSkill would understand the pain it is for RAM to be bad, yet work at 1333 for both sticks...so it became very difficult to identify the bad RAM stick.

Now, that I know I will be more careful.

Emailed customer/sales support and see if anything can be done for my troubles.

Thanks for your help on here though!

corpfan1

Comment

Working...
      X