Trying to diagnose this bluescreen for months..G.Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to diagnose this bluescreen for months..G.Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL

I built a new pc several months ago and since basically day one I've been having a completely random BSOD at bootup with Windows 7. Now by at boot up I don't mean right when Windows 7 gets into the OS, I mean from my bios about 2 seconds into the little colored logo moving for Windows 7 the computer has a blue screen. My hardware is as follows:

Asrock 870 Extreme 3 -MB (case temps around 25c)
    AMD Phenom II x2 unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55 quad core (idle 30c load 42c
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL -Ram
    Samsung F3 1TB Sata 2 -HD
    LG DVD Burner
    Sapphire Radeon 6850 -VC
    Coolermaster Silent Pro 600watt - PS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Now I've been trying to figure out what has been causing this for a very long time. This has been the hardest pc error I've ever encountered when it comes to diagnosing it because it always comes at completely random times and I've already thought many many times I found the solution because suddenly it stops for several days but..nope there it is again. I have noticed it seems worse on "cold boots" after the computer has been off the entire night or say 6 hours or so. It generally Bluescreens the first time it goes to reload Windows 7 but then after it reboots the computer functions flawlessly. I have ran Prime 95 for hours upon hours on end without a single hiccup (and passed very high stress levels in Intel Burn test as well as AMD overdrive). I have ran Furmark on the graphics card and passed 10 minutes without an issue. I have played hours and hours of games without any issues as well. The ram HAS passed memtest86 for 6 hours straight several different times. All voltages from the powersupply are very stable.

Now here's my question. Even though the ram passes tests like Memtest, is it possible the memory is STILL at fault here? Every time I research into this issue everything seems to point at the memory having an issue. I have checked voltages and timings on the memory to make sure everything is fine. I have ran the memory at the DDDR3-1600 speeds and also tried to run it at DDR3-1333 when I read a lot of users having issues actually getting the 1600 speeds to function properly. All my timings are set exactly where G.Skill recommends (9-9-9-24-2N). With the Asrock 870 Extreme 3 motherboard I can either have the memory at 1.47 or 1.53 (can't remember exact voltages off the top of my head but one is very slightly below the recommended 1.5 and the other is barely above, there is no 1.5 setting). I have tried other hard drives (even bought the Samsung which is brand new and tests flawlessly), I have pulled an old 8800gts video card out of my other desktop to see if the issue was the card and it still has the BSOD with the Nvidia card. I did manage to borrow some Corsair DD3-1600 memory from a friend and this did seem to get rid of my issue for a couple of days, problem being is I had to give it back before I could really know 100% for certain. The pc has managed to go that amount of time with the G.Skill without having the BSOD so it's hard for me to say =/. The AsRock motherboard manual also suggests running 1600 ram in the blue A3-A4 slots instead of the White A1-A2 so I've tried both without any success.

This is seriously driving me insane trying to figure out what is causing this. I have done at least 3 completely fresh clean installs of Windows Ultimate x64 without any luck. I have been insanely careful with every single app I've installed and driver to try to make sure that isn't the issue. I just really have a feeling it's this G.Skill ram...maybe not a typical fault but something a little out of the ordinary causing my issue. If someone could recommend any thing else I can try I would just like to know before I mail off the ram at my expense and go a week + without my machine only to have them tell me the ram is ok. I thank anyone who took the time to read through this, I tried to keep it short but unfortunately that's hard without being specific. I'm already leaving out paragraphs worth of details for solutions I've tried with no luck in solving the issue.

ps The unlock on the Phenom II has worked flawlessly since day one. All cores tests perfect with AMD overdrive at the stock 3.2ghz, hours and hours of prime 95, intel burn test etc. I'm 100% sure there isn't an issue with any of the cores. I didn't have to "fight" with the cpu to get this unlock to work, no voltage adjustments, lowering multiplier, etc.

Please help!

Those extra cores were locked for a reason.
    Have you tried running with the additional two cores locked, as it was intended?
    I'm not trying to down play that you have unlocked the extra cores.
    But maybe this is the source of your problem, just try it for 2-3 days and monitor the results.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Feel free to send them in for a new kit to see if that works better.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm going to just RMA the memory and see if that fixes the issue. I've also had occasional bluescreens in windows and actually formatted and fresh installed windows 7 on another hard drive last night and about 2 hours into setting up that image it had a BSOD.

While I appreciate the comment about the cpu as I said in the original post I've gone out of my way to massively test the processor and yes it still had the issue running as a dual core. There are hundreds and hundreds of people that successfully unlock the chips and never have a single issue. AMD does do it from time to time to get the right yields.

I just wish this memory would of been completely dead rather than only erroring out at cold boots. It's wasted at least a hundred hours of my time troubleshooting all this nonsense. I'm just worried even when I get new sticks this problem will still be present as every time I search this model of memory the amount of people have issues with it is absolutely insane. It seems nearly impossible to get this stuff to run at rated speeds (I don't even care about 1600 but even at 1333). I've also seen many, many other people with similar issues that only come up during cold boots. Thanks for your replies. I put in for the RMA yesterday and hopefully get the number soon as it's going to be long enough without my desktop as is. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
        X