G.Skill ram and AMD or intel processors having issues with memory speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill ram and AMD or intel processors having issues with memory speeds

I have discovered a solve for most issues since the main memory controllers are onboard the processors these days those of you that are having issues with your motherboard throwing errors, lockups ect consistent with memory issues should try RMA or DOA your CPU with your retailer/warehouse. it could very well be the memory controller. I had this exact problem occur on an AMD 970 Phenom II x4 with an MSI 980A G-65 motherboard it turned out to be the CPU's memory controller was bad. it happens and there's no major problems with it now. my memory is now running properly and fully in slots 1/2 in the build for my GF. always remember to FULLY test your memory at default speeds in ALL slots first and then perform load testing further than simple Prime95 or other stress testing to find out what's going on with your machine. for being my first DDR3 based build one problem out of the millions that could have happened is impressive. for those of you having the memory issues with the ram throwing out errors READ my comments and please heed the warning. I as a veteran Builder of computers am always ready to answer questions and would be happy to clarify anything I have stated here in this thread. I don't have the patients right now to link to my thread regarding the said build but needless to say the CPU was the culprit, if you don't mind running at stock speeds with your 1600 or greater memory then by all means do not try to RMA/DOA your processor stating it has a bad memory controller, but I would advise against NOT doing this as you'll be much happier with your build and it will score much higher in any baseline performance test Out Of Box.

Cpu

Yes, especially AMD, which has a long history of weak memory controllers

Comment

To add a little, here are some common issues related to a bad CPU memory controller:

missing capacity, memory only works in single channel (not dual channel), one single module will not POST in the first slot, etc.

It is not very common for the CPU to be defective, typically these issues are more motherboard related, but the CPU can very well be the culprit as well, which is why some issues are very difficult to troubleshoot. This is also the reason why we ask users to run a series of tests. Some people flip out, "Why do I need to test them individually?? I am an experienced computer builder! I'm not stupid!" Well, you wouldn't need to contact us if that were the case..

We take each issue/problem on a case to case basis, so as long as you cooperate with us, we will help you determine the culprit and have the computer running smoothly ASAP. But with no cooperation, you get no help, no solution.

I find it interesting when people tell me they are computer pros, and they are too "pro" for our troubleshooting procedures, then think yelling is going to force me to magically make their system work.. haha

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

A couple of the biggest issues are:

A) The mobo advertising - where they will state that the mobo is rated for XXXX speed DRAM (say 2000), but give no indication of what CPU(s) are required to run that particular speed (again - especially with AMD) or the 'RATED' amount of DRAM. They see the specs on a board and get a lower end CPU and figure (since the mobos specs say so) they can run 16 or 24GB or whatever of 2000 DRAM.

B) The sticks, the mobos and CPUs are indeed precision components, but the slightest differences (something off a thousands of an inch) can be the primary factor in whether all the components will play well together, if you take 6 of the same (each) mobos, CPUs and DRAM sets you may well end up having to run a couple or more different sets of BIOS settings to get near/equal performance numbers.........

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X