Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL and F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL the same modules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL and F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL the same modules?

Are F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL and F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL exactly the same modules physically, only that the former has two modules while the latter is only one module? So buying two 4GBRL's separately is the same as buying one 8GBRL?

Both are comprised of the Ripjaws L sticks, the 1st package, the 10666CL9D (D) is a dual kit, w/ two sticks, the second, the 10666CL9S (S) is a single stick package. Indeed buying 2 of the (S) single stick packages will end up in 8GB.

The big difference here is the (D) dual package has sticks tested to work together, whereas if you buy two (S) packages, the sticks may not want to play well together or possible at all. This is why packages are produced to try and cover all different amounts of DRAM wanted/required

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Two F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL's will obviously add up to 8GB. What I want to know is whether the modules are physically exactly the same -- same chips, board, heat sink, etc. -- as the F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL modules.

If they indeed are the same, and the F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL's are $40 each while the F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL is $85, it's obviously cheaper to just buy two of the former. For the 8GBRL, am I basically just paying $5 extra for the fact that the two modules have been tested to work dual-channel? Shouldn't the two 4GBRL's also work just as fine dual-channel as long as there is no manufacturing defect?

Comment

Yes it's the same sticks, and ideally yes they would be exactly the same. You often see however, the same exact model that may be manufactured in different lots or made with components from different lots, etc. Often see people buy a 2 or 4GB set then later buy an identical set and all the sticks test fine but don't want to play well together.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X