Problems with F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD and GA-P67A-UD7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD and GA-P67A-UD7

I'm trying to optimize a new build around a i7-2600k on at Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 motherboard. I've installed F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD, which is the new Ripjaws X (2 x 4GB) designed for Sandy Bridge. The sticks are rated 2133 CL9-11-9-28 at 1.65V. Default profile only ran at 665 MHz. Enabling the XMP profile in BIOS results in failed POST and auto-reversion to previous settings. Manually setting the configuration to the rated profile also results in failed POST. The best I have been able to to is 931.2 MHz at CL 9-11-9-28 2T 1.65V. Any attempt to increase above this has not worked. Other info:
    - The sticks are installed in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3, so should be operating in dual channel
    - 950 W Silencer Power Supply
    - Current settings:
    CL 9
    RCD 11
    RP 9
    RAS 28
    RRD 4
    WR 7
    RTP 5
    WTR 5

Memory Multiplier 18.66X
    Memory Voltage 1.65V

Any thoughts on getting the RAM to run at spec would be greatly appreciated!

tWR is too low, it should be double. Try AUTO and see what that gives you. Do you have the latest BIOS?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried setting to AUTO, no luck. Also tried manually setting tWR to 14, didnt help either. Board will still not POST if I set multiplier to 21.33.
      Am currently running version "F4" BIOS, will try to update to F6 and see if that helps. F7A is available but is still beta so will wait on that a bit.

Comment

If F6 doesn't help, might want to try the beta, those tend to come out quick if there is a flaw found in the last major release (in this case F6)...and the BIOS updates aree coming out fast which is normal w/ the release of a new chipset

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, will try F7 since F6 didnt improve the situation.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, with the same ram and the same board. I'm using F7 - and nothing I can do gets it to run.

If I enable X.M.P I go into a reboot loop. If I manually set the settings, same deal.

I'm very much looking forward to the resolution in this thread

Comment

Have you tried the sticks in slots 2 and 4 instead? From what I've read, Sandy Bridge likes them farther away when you have only two modules. You should only use slots 1 and 3 if you have four modules.

Comment

I have 2 of the 8GB kits in my machine for a total of 16GB. Just to add that to the info since I forgot to do so..
                Last edited by inktomi; 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM. Reason: clarity, reread post above me

Comment

The two kits may not being playing well together, could you post your system voltages...and have you tried testing each stick w/ Memtest to ensure no bad sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I haven't had crashing, even when running Intel Burn Test's extra large tests - so I don't think the ram itself is bad - but I will leave Memtest86+ 4.20b running overnight just in case.

I've tried leaving things on "AUTO" - but that didn't work. Setting the voltage to 1.65 didn't seem to make any difference. When I enable the XMP profile, or try manually setting the speed to 21.33 I get a reboot loop. I've also tried manually setting the timings and such to no avail.

I used 9 - 12 - 9 - 29 and a tRC at 47 on my latest try, which seemed to be the settings from the XMP profile.

-- Additional Info --

Memtest ran for 9.5 hours and found nothing wrong. Here are my voltages:

Vcore 1.4
                    QPI/Vtt 1.050
                    System Agent 0.925
                    PCH Core 1.050
                    CPU PLL 1.800

DRAM [AUTO] but I've tried 1.640... 1.650 is not an option, defaults to 1.500
                    DRAM VRef [AUTO], defaults to .75
                    DRAM Termination [AUTO] defaults to .75
                    Channel-A Data VRef [AUTO] defaults to .75
                    Channel-B Data VRef [AUTO] defaults to .75
                    Channel-A Address VRef [AUTO] defaults to .75
                    Channel-B Address VRef [AUTO] defaults to .75

If I go to XMP profile 1 the system doesn't boot, but I do see the proper memory frequency, voltage, etc all selected. 2134 / 1.65 / latencies, etc.
                    Last edited by inktomi; 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM. Reason: adding voltages since memtest is finished

Comment

Prob want QPI/VTT to 1.1 or a bit higher, have to run right now, will take a closer look when I get back

Tman

Comment

Just to keep you up to date, I took QPI/VTT up to 1.2 and tried both manually setting the speed and the XMP Profile 1 in different attempts. Same results as before - reboot loop.

I very much appreciate your help.
                        Last edited by inktomi; 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I have this kit coming tomorrow for my UD4 (the UD7's little sister) I'll post my results if it may help.

Originally posted by inktomi View Post
                          Just to keep you up to date, I took QPI/VTT up to 1.2 and tried both manually setting the speed and the XMP Profile 1 in different attempts. Same results as before - reboot loop.

I very much appreciate your help.
                          I really doubt 16GB of this stuff will run stable at the rated specs. it's probably not really the RAM's fault, it's just a LOT for the CPU to handle. g.skill only guarantees 2 DIMMs will run at rated specs. and you can see the OP having problems with just one kit, two kits is probably too much. but with enough tweaking you may have some luck. have you tried upping the system agent volts a little? like 0.935? that's the max safe intel recommends. may help... since the mem controllers are on that, along with the QPI/VTT.

also, are you overclocking your CPU? you may have to back down a little to get RAM to run at spec. sometimes it's not possible to have both RAM and CPU overclocked. have to compromise a little.
                          Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM.
                          CPU: i7 4790K
                          Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
                          RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

I'd be happy with 1600 to be honest.. 1333 just seems really slow hah

I'll try bumping up the system agent voltage with the higher VTT and try to set the speed to 1600 manually. See if that does the trick.

My CPU is overclocked and seemingly stable at 4.7Ghz.

--- Edit --

Upping the System Agent voltage to 0.935 with a QPI/VTT at 1.2 produces a reboot loop. Won't load into BIOS.

I'm going to try with 8GB installed, though I really need to get the full 16 working (I do some machine learning programming and I need the memory space).

-- edit --
                            Same with 8gb.
                            Last edited by inktomi; 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all for suggestions. I moved the sticks into slots 2 & 4 and was able to boot to OS using XMP profile - running now at 2133. Will stress test overnight tonight to see if it is stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X