• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few timming settings for F3-12800CL9D

I have the a set of: F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    Motherboard is: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
    CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

This was a new build. Everything has been stable. I do have a few questions though?
    The default memory clock is x6.66 so naturally I had changed it to 8 so they could run at 1600MHz. That was simple however it messed the timings all up. (Changed it to 11-11-11 etc.) So I manually set it back to 9-9-9-24-2t as that is the rated timings for this memory. Keep in mind I had changed things back and forth to experiment and it has appeared stable the whole time.

My first question, as I would like to run this ram at exactly what they are rated at; what should I set the following:

TwTr Command Delay -?
    Trfc2 for DIMM1 -?
    Trfc2 for DIMM3 -?
    Recovery Time -?
    Precharge Time -?
    ROW Cycle Time -?
    RAS to RAS Delay -?

Should I just mirror the SPD? I do not trust the Auto setting as they are sorely retarded (literally) and I believe that it?s because the motherboard believes I am ?overclocking? 1333MHz rated ram and compensating by adjusting my timings to prevent it from becoming unstable. So I am trying to find what they are supposed to be set to. Thanks!

Moreover, what?s the deal with Ganged and Unganged? It acts weird when set to Unganged? To elaborate, when posting it doesn?t show how much RAM I have or appear to count it or test it or anything like that? It just says DDR3 Unganged. And takes just a few more seconds to post than when set to Ganged.

Any guidance on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated! I am sorry for all the words but I have scoured this forum as well as Google to find the answer but just couldn?t be sure of what I was seeing was relevant to my situation. Thanks again!

-Bryan
    I am quite impressed with my G.Skill product. 1.5v for my ram, hmmm wow

-Bryan

Reset all to defaults, then set base timings to 9-9-9-24, CR to 2N, voltage to 1.5 and DRAM Frequency to 1333, then raise the CPU Bus speed to 240 which should raise the memory to 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That

makes a bit more sense... But wont that overclock the CPU? I would like to not overclock the CPU much if possible as I don't want to deal with potential heating issues with the stock fan and heat sink/thermal compound... although... it is the black box version

If I did that would I need to adjust any voltage?

Thanks so much!

-Bryan

-Bryan

Comment

Yes, so you can reduce CPU Ratio to lower frequency back to stock.

With the 1090T, the motherboard should be able to support the overclock, but to be stable for daily use, I would suggest manually inputting the CPU VCore for a CPU Frequency OC.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Wow, I haven?t messed with overclocking since the days you had to physically modify the processer things have changed...

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          I would suggest manually inputting the CPU VCore for a CPU Frequency OC.
          I read billion?s of your posts and you seem informed as to the management of northbridges. When I up the CPU freq from 200 to 240 my numbers change as follows:

CPU clock: From 3200 to 3840
          CPU North Bridge: From 2000 to 2400
          HT link freq: From 2000 to 2400
          Memory Clock: From 1333 to 1599

Assuming I wanted to leave the CPU at 3840(also considering 3600) as I NOW have the proper cooling, should I leave the auto adjusted numbers of the HT and NB at 2400?(stock cooling on NB) Is there some rhythm with these numbers that I would want to keep them consistent to alleviate any potential bottlenecks? Or perhaps try to pull them down to (and this is the closest I could get it without underclocking) 2160. Or should I underclock it at 1900 as I just have stock cooling on the NB? Or I would gladly entertain any suggestion you have if I seem to be going in the wrong direction with this.

As far as the voltage is concerned my board defaults to the following:

CPU VID: 1.375
          NB VID: 1.150

I can notch them up by .025, any recommendations?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

-Bryan

Comment

For everyday use, a 3.6GHz overclock is good for all around stability & performance.
            Set your NB frequency@ 2400MHz, it will compliment a 3.6GHz CPU overclock.
            If you go with 3.8GHz, then I recommend the NB frequency@ 2600MHz.
            But keep in mind that you'll have to tweak the CPU & CPU/NB voltages to get stability.
            There's no performance advantage to overclocking the HT Link speed.
            Keep it in the 2000-2200MHz range.

Ganged mode runs the memory data stream through one lane (1x128MB), ideal for single threaded applications/games.
            Unganged mode splits the memory data stream into two lanes (2x64MB), ideal for multi-threaded applications/games.
            Last edited by NemesisChild; 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM.
            AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
            Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
            ASUS Crosshair V Formula
            2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
            SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
            Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
            Corsair HX850W Modular
            Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
            2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

You're on the right track, HT and NB Frequencies should be 2400. As long as you are using the DDR3-1333 memory multiplier, AUTO will be fine for the frequencies. By adjusting the CPU Bus Frequency, not Memory Multiplier, it will overclock other frequencies such as NB and HT accordingly.

If you use the 1 : 4 memory ratio, then the CPU-NB Voltage will need to be higher.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Clarification

Just to make sure I understand what I am doing. If I follow Tradesman's advice of
                Reset all to defaults, then set base timings to 9-9-9-24, CR to 2N, voltage to 1.5 and DRAM Frequency to 1333, then raise the CPU Bus speed to 240
                and leave everything on auto which will adjust things accordingly. And while not deviating from any of the automatic adjustments; it would not change the ratio as the multipliers are all the same. Only the frequencies would change. Therefore, I would not need to adjust any voltage on the CPU or NB?

-Bryan

-Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  You're on the right track, HT and NB Frequencies should be 2400. As long as you are using the DDR3-1333 memory multiplier, AUTO will be fine for the frequencies. By adjusting the CPU Bus Frequency, not Memory Multiplier, it will overclock other frequencies such as NB and HT accordingly.

If you use the 1 : 4 memory ratio, then the CPU-NB Voltage will need to be higher.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  HT Link Speed does not and should not need to be at 2400MHz.

Your bios should allow you to choose the speed, even though the CPU clock (FSB) has been changed.
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Plan

OK, well I am going to actually make my first attempt. I am considering doing the following as soon as my thermal compound cures. I guess I will only be changing 2 things, the FSB and the HT Link. The rest will be auto/stock. I am not to sure about some of the voltages:

CPU clock: 3840 (Auto adjusted from 3200 with FSB increase)
                    CPU Northbridge: 2400 (Auto adjusted from 2000 with FSB increase)
                    CPU freq(FSB): 240 <-- Manually change from 200 to 240
                    HT link: 2160 <-- Manually change from auto adjusted 2400 to 2160
                    Memory clock: 1599 (Auto adjusted from 1333 with FSB increase)

CPU VID: 1.375v No change <- This is where its at on default, seems higher than other boards(may work?)
                    NB Voltage: 1.???v ??? <- Not sure what to start with, perhaps default as its only a 400mhz OC on the NB?
                    NB VID: 1.5v No change <-What's the difference between VID and Voltage?
                    HT: 1.25v No change

Thanks for your suggestions!
                    Last edited by bryankroll; 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM. Reason: Elaboration

-Bryan

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

CPU VID: 1.375v No change <- This is where its at on default, seems higher than other boards(may work?)
                        NB Voltage: 1.???v ??? <- Not sure what to start with, perhaps default as its only a 400mhz OC on the NB?
                        NB VID: 1.5v No change <-What's the difference between VID and Voltage?
                        HT: 1.25v No change

CPU VID: 1.375v may be ok for a 3.8GHz CPU overclock, but you may have to go 1.40v or so.
                        NB Voltage: Voltage applied to the actual NB chip, leave it on auto.
                        NB VID: I'm assuming it's for the NB Frequency, you'll only need 1.25v for a 2400MHz NB overclock.
                        HT Link: Fine leaving it at 1.25v.
                        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                        Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

So far so good

I decided go with 2160 on the northbridge for my first attempt:

CPU clock: 3840
                          CPU Northbridge: 2160
                          CPU freq(FSB): 240
                          HT link: 2160
                          Memory clock: 1599

All voltage is on auto:
                          CPU VID: 1.375v
                          NB Voltage: auto
                          NB VID: 1.5v
                          HT: 1.25v

So far its running stable. I ran a stress test on everything. The only thing that is strange is when I did the stress test I had opened Google Chrome and it froze up and hesitated for about 3 seconds. Did the same thing when I opened the second CPU-Z about a minute later... About an hour ago I did a stress test (all stock) and that didn't happen, the computer never did that... think this is related to anything? I have no clue what would cause the computer to run slower or hesitate rather; other than possibly the CPU NB VID is 1.50 perhaps I'll bump it to 1.75...?? Furthermore I just realized that the memory command rate is running at 1t. Also, its a 3:10 ratio...? (All memory is set to auto) I dont know if this changed with the FSB overclock.

Thanks guys! So far all of your comments have been helpful and provoked a lot of research and I understand this stuff a lot more than before.

See below (my Noctua NH-14 is running the same temp with this overclock stressed at 100% what the stock cooler was was running stock settings at idle) not bad for an air cooler:

-Bryan

Comment

Might want to drop to 2T, which may allow to lower the voltage a tad

Tman

Comment

Sucsessful

Well I left everything as is even left it at 1T. I installed a game on there and changed the settings in my video card all the way up as well as told it to buffer as many fames as possible in my CPU and system memory. After several 6 hour sessions of that I saw no issue so Its safe to assume it is running stable. Thanks

-Bryan

Comment

Working...
                              X