general OC questions for F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general OC questions for F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Okay, probably going to get in trouble and be told to search the forum for these questions. However, I have been searching and really don't know what to search for to find the answers for my questions. Here goes. I will start with system spec and then the questions.

Core i5 750 (currently stock 2.6ghz , but going to OC tonight, hopefully to 4GHZ)
    G. Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2x2GB DIMMS in dual channel) DDR3 1600MHZ
    Gigabyte GA H55 USB3 mobo
    500GB WD HDD 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GHT System disc.
    500GB Seagate LTHDD 5400RPM SATA 1.5GHT
    1 x Nvidia GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB RAM (EVGA)
    Thermaltake frio CPU cooler (w/both fans on)
    RAIDMAX Hybrid 730watt dual 12v rail PSU
    RAIDMAX Quantum ATX-798WB (tons of air moving with 2 x 120mm fans in front, one 120mm in rear, and 2 x 120mm on the top. The rear and top are exhaust.)
    LG SATA DVD burner
    ENCORE ENLWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter

Okay, I have been building for 10+ years. I think this is a good rig for everything. However, I have never overclocked anything. At first, I just planned on the CPU. Hense the frio cpu cooler, which is supposed to be one of the best air coolers out. But, doing research and looking at all possibilities, I have learned that you basically have to OC your RAM to OC the CPU as you adjust the FSB which also appears to change the RAM bandwidth. A lot of tutorials that I see really do not say what to do with the RAM BW, so they just get it back to near what the stock is 1333MHZ or 1600MHZ or whatever. So, one question is what if this RAM was left at around 1700 - 1800MHZ? Can it handle it since the RAM appears to be made for OC or will it burn up quickly? The heatsinks on these DIMMS are crazy!

Also, I am seeing a lot about timings. I noticed that this RAM is considerably higher than the DD2 stuff I have used in the past. This is rated at 9-9-9-24. I understand these numbers are basically how long the memory waits to start the next process. I also understand that this is considered high speed RAM and that the bandwidth makes up for the timings compaired to the low timings and BW on the DDR/DDR2 stuff. What if I changed it 7-7-7-21 and had the BW at 1765MHZ or something like that? What will this do to it? Keep in mind that I have lots of air flow.

I also think I understand that if the system is unstable to increase the voltages by very small incriments and not to get above 1.65ish volts. Is this also correct?

I am VERY interested in OC'ing this RAM along with my GPU and CPU. If anyone can point me in some/any direction that would be great!!!

Oh yeah, Running Win 7 ultimate 64 bit.
    Last edited by Selluminis; 01-15-2011, 04:40 PM.
    Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
    4GB Ripjaws 12800 @ 1600MHZ
    gigabyte ga h55-usb3
    EVGA GTX 460 768MB RAM overclocked
    Thermaltake frio cpu cooler.
    Raidmax hybrid 730 watt PSU
    Raidmax quantum Mid Tower

You were right.....go elsewhere......in fact, might take a look at this:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...ide-lynnfield/

a very good guide from another forum I frequent (and saves me a lot of typing), take a look and if you need any help let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the link. This will help, hopefully. I will read through it before attempting OC tonight. Most of the guides I found were from 4 years ago taking about pentium 4 and Atholn xp cpu's. This one appears to be more up to date.
      Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
      gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

The writer is a frequent contributor and rather knowledgeable, there are other guides out there also on the lynnfield, but this has gotten good responses from the members there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

EH!

Well, I got the GPU oc. However, the oc'ing of the cpu and ram did not go so well. Would not even load bios after reboot. Had to clear cmos. More practice I guess.
          Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
          gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

Take it up slowly a little at a time, that way if something isn't stable can concentrate on that right then, big jumps are much harder as you have many more variables that can play in

Tman

Comment

ID10T error

I am an idiot. I went in before reading the article and messed with stuff. I did not have any voltages raised and had the RAM OC to 2000MHZ which it is not at all stable at.

I went and read the article and it mostly got me to where I needed to be. I had to figure out my board, CPU, RAM limits.

I got something that was stable and started Prime95. It ran for 30 minutes and then Prime95 crashed. PC was fine. Not sure what that meant. Anyhow, I started the test again and it has been running now for a couple of hours.

Here is what I have at the moment:

CPU running at 4.2GHZ
              35c idle so far 75ish c at 100% load. (Still running Prime95. Has been going for a couple of hours now with no issues.)

RAM is OC from 1333MHZ to 1600MHZ... This is confusing to me. I thought that the RAM was rated at 1600MHZ out of the box. Why would my mobo show it running at 1333MHZ?

GPU overclocked too. Core clock from 720 to 900 and it is stable. Still need to stress test the GPU more though. Memory bandwidth from like 1700MHZ to 2156MHZ.

Still have questions on timings though. I am still at 9-9-9-24. I will look to see what I can find. According to the article, one can get better performance with adjusting the timings rather than upping the bandwidth.
              Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
              gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

If RAM is at 1333 you'll need to either enable XMP and set to 1600 or do it manually

Tman

Comment

Will give that a try when I get home.

Once set to 1600, I can OC from there? Is it true that I do not want to go more then a 10% OC? In this case 1760MHZ or could I take it higher? I can't remember, but I think it would not post at 1800MHZ.
                  Last edited by Selluminis; 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM. Reason: added question
                  Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
                  gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

This RAM does not like to be OC at all it seems. Any time I get it over 1600MHZ it either does bosd or fails to post. I have tried XMP, changing the bclock and CPU multiplier as well as the RAM multiplier and could not get anything over 1600MHZ.
                    Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
                    gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

don't think tis ram is good for overclocking , will run at 1600 but not much more

Comment

I guess I will just run at stock speed with this RAM...
                        Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
                        gigabyte ga h55-usb3

Comment

What voltage are you trying? People run this kit at DDR3-1800+ or DDR3-1600 CL8 all the time, you just need to know how to overclock and what settings to use.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Dram is 1.65
                            Vtt is 1.23
                            Core i5 750 @ 4.2GHZ
                            gigabyte ga h55-usb3