Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL BSOD with 2 sticks

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased an 8GB (2x4GB) pack of F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws (9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz, 1.5v)

System Information:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Revision 2
    Bios: F14 (latest as of November 30, 2010)
    Ram: See above
    Graphics: ATI HD 6870 (also switched out to Nvidia 9800GT and Nvidia 7600GT)
    PSU: Corsair 750HX (also switched out with Antec HE 550)
    CPU: Intel i5 760

Voltages:
    CPU: 1.25v (Stock)
    RAM: 1.5v (Stock)
    QPI: 1.1v (Stock), but also tried 1.3v which did not solve problem.

When I use one stick (4GB) of Ram everything works fine, however when I add in the 2nd stick to make it 4GB x 2 (8GB total) I receive occasional BSODs/restarts/freezes. This will occur regardless of computer usage. It has crashed while I've idled on my desktop just listening to music. It has also crashed while logging in, or in the middle of a video game.

The power supply has been used to overclock an E6600 (2.4Ghz) to 3.6Ghz, so it should be more then enough to run this machine on all default.

I traded out my HD 6870 for a low-power 7600GT to ensure that power was not the problem.

Stress Tests:

- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostics on each ram stick separately. Passed
    - Ran Memtest for ~4hours on each ram stick separately. Passed
    - Ran Prime95 stress test for ~5hours. Passed.

Attempted Solutions:
    - I've tried in both the default (133Mhz base clock, 10x multiplier -> 1333Mhz Ram) and then tried the XMP Profile (160 Mhz base clock, 10x multiplier -> 1600Mhz Ram). Neither was stable.

- On the forums I read about increasing the QPI voltages from 1.1v (default) to 1.3v. That did not solve the problem.

- Attempted to run in both Dual Channel (1st and 3rd slot) and Single Channel (1st and 2nd slot) mode.

- Single stick works fine in Slot 1, Slot 2 and Slot 3. (Did not test Slot 4 since it is under my CPU cooler and I don't plan to put RAM in that slot.

- Manually set the timings, however I am not sure about the more advanced timing settings (trc, trrd, twtr, twr, etc) so I kept those at "auto".

- I RMA'd the motherboard (since the RAM passed all the memtests I thought maybe the motherboard was faulty). So unless I received two bad motherboards in a row we can factor that out.

What I would like:

I would like to know what all the advanced timings that I need to set and/or any voltage/BIOS changes I may need to make.

My thought is that the 4GB sticks are of higher density then your average 2GB stick, or since it has a higher capacity that the timings may need to be looser?

Please let me know if I forgot to include any important information. I apologize in advanced if this question has been asked 100 times on the forums, I did check and attempted to use any solutions that I found for my situation, however none of them seem to work.

Thank you very much, and sorry if I gave too much detail... I like to be thorough whenever possible.

I received an email response to me questions above but all it said was "Test the memory with DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V." Which makes no sense and did not work.

QPI to 1.2 and DRAM to 1.55, CR (Command Rate) at 2, if no joy if you could post other voltage settings we'll take a closer look and have a better idea

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I am testing out your suggestion now. Below are pictures of my BIOS settings... it should be everything you need. If I forgot to take a picture of some important settings please let me know.

Comment

http://img833.imageshack.us/g/sam0996.jpg/

It seems the pictures didn't link correctly... try this instead.

Comment

Looks pretty good, if any problems may want to raise vCore to 1.15 to 1.2

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X