6x 2GB DDR3-2133 on R3F + i7-980X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6x 2GB DDR3-2133 on R3F + i7-980X

Alright I've tried so hard to get my computer stable with a decent ram speed but I'm failing pretty horribly. Even leaving everything to auto is unstable.

Motherboard: Rampage III Formula
    Processor: Core i7-980X
    RAM: 6x 2GB F3-17066CL7D-2GBPIS

I'm guessing it's the triple channel making this hard, eh?

Core speed: 4160 MHz (166 MHz Bus * 25 multiplier)
    Core voltage: 1.3275V

The CPU appears to be having no troubles at all, despite its high temperatures (up to 42 idle, 78 100% load)

Speedstep is disabled, HT is enabled, other stuff is most likely disabled

Now...I can only get my system to boot with the RAM at 1666 MHz or less!

It can manage a few hours on Prime95 with 6-8-6-24-2N, however putting the timings up to 7-10-7-27-1N @ anything over 2000 MHz will make Windows crash on start up (can still enter BIOS)

RAM voltage is always at 1.66v (it's either that or 1.64v...I can't go between)

That other voltage related to RAM or whatever is at 1.36v (I was told -0.3v would probably be easiest)

Then that other option is at 1.81v

Any suggestions on how I can make this work?

Here's a screenshot of my CPU-Z if that helps any:

Could you post your actual BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Start from DDR3-1600, see what QPI/DRAM Voltage it needs, then work your way up to DDR3-2000+. You may want to try without the CPU OC first, in case that causes instability.

Make sure you listen to other people with the i7-980X. It is a completely different CPU than the other i7-900.. so you may damage your CPU if you listen to the wrong people. For example, DDR3-1600 CL6, you should only need ~1.20V. This CPU does not require as high voltages.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'll try working my way up from stock cpu then, also, here's some pictures of BIOS

Edit: I changed the CPU voltage to 1.26 and it seems to run fine, yay, 0.05v gone temperatures down 7 celsius o.o

(sorry they're so big...lol)

Last edited by Jpapertowels; 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM. Reason: changed vcore

Comment

Keep us posted on how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The highest I ever got the RAM was 1666 MHz and I can adjust the timings to almost anything. Running 6-7-6-22-1N 1666 MHz right now and managed 4 hours of Prime95 (CPU @ 4.0 GHz, 1.275 vcore) I think I'll just keep it at that to be honest...the timings are amazing and I probably don't need higher than 1666 with Triple Channel.

2009 MHz @ 8-10-8-28-2N gets me into Windows but everything crashes really really often, especially explorer.exe. (this should be quite stable for this RAM, right?)

Comment

at 2009 would think can run 7-9-7-26 or so, might need an extra .05 or so to DRAM voltage

Tman

Comment

If you can't stabilize it, don't worry about it. DDR3-1666 CL6 will still be very fast. You may want to come back to it later to try out. With your motherboard and CPU, you should be able to achieve crazy results.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X