F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL with Rampage III Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL with Rampage III Extreme

I'm buliding a new rig. Perhaps I made a mistake. I've got a Rampage III Extreme mobo and got (2) 8GB Ripjaws kits (2 x 4GB PC3 12800). According to the mobo manual, I can install 4 DIMMS by using A1, B1, C1 and A2 but I think I must have screwed up since it's a triple-channel setup and I should really use 3 matched DIMMs, not 4, right?

So, I have two questions:
    (1) Will my 4-DIMM 16GB setup work with the (2) 2x4GB DIMMs I bought? If not, can I just use 3 of them to get 12GB?
    (2) Can I order another 8GB kit (2x4GB) and run 24GB since I'll have 2 sets of 3 DIMMs?

Thanks!

Help

Best bet would be see if you can return the sets and either go 3x4GB for 12, or 6x4GB for 24....next best is 2 sets 3x4GB.....

You can use what you have and add a 2x4GB to fill all six, but there's no guarantee that all the sticks will play well together and may take a good bit (or little bit) of tweaking

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No 12GB kits on the QVL

The biggest kits listed on the Rampage III Extreme QVL are 6GB (3x2GB). Given this, I'm planning to order (1) G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ. If 6GB isn't good enough, I'll add another.

Does this make sense or should I go for a 12 GB kit now and pray that it works even though it's not on the QVL? I've read that the x58 boards are picky. Further, I'm *really* not sure I need > 6 GB. My primary use will be HD Video Editing.

Comment

If it's in the budget, I'd go for the 12GB, but if you have worries the 6GB would probably suffice though think you will want more as you progress w/ the video editing, where the more you have the merrier

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, 12GB is in the budget. However, this leaves me with three questions:

1) If 12GB is the most I ever want, is 3x4GB or 6x2GB better?
          2) There are NO 12GB solutions on the G.Skill or ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme QVLs. How do I know what will work and what will not? Many people have cautioned about being sure to pick RAM which is compatible.
          3) I've got an i7-950 which I plan to moderately OC. Is 1600 (PC3 12800) appropriate?

Thanks,
          John

Comment

If you care for some testing done:

Follow the link, below.
            http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=261341&page=4

If you get a third kit, you`ll end up with 24 Gb, working as discribed.

Comment

jrc,

3 x 4GB is better, allowing you to upgrade in the future as well.

All triple channel and hex channel kits are made specifically for this motherboard.

Your CPU is no problem for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I ordered 3x12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 (F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL) last night and hope to have it install tomorrow night!

Comment

Let us know

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X