F3-16000CL9T-12GBRM & GA-X58A-UD3R Fails MemTest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-16000CL9T-12GBRM & GA-X58A-UD3R Fails MemTest

Update - Version 3.5a dated 8/24/2010 appears to have a bug when testing more than 4Gb's on my system; but using Version 4.10, dated 04/05/2010 works fine.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

My system fails memtest in first 5 seconds with all 3 modules, but each module passes individually.

I have a decent system, i7-950 w/ Freezer Pro2 cooler, 850 watt OCZ PSU, and my SSD and HDD are not connected yet.

Installed hardware and booted Memtest 3.5a in BIOS FB (08/24/2010). System freezes at Test #0, 3%. It freezes at memory 4096M to 6144M - seems to be problem when it attempts to reach second memory module.

Tested each module individually, all pass no problem (using DDR3_1, DDR3_3, and DDR3_5).

Tried tweaking BIOS settings per forum recommendations - CAS from 7-7-7-20-1, 8-8-8-24-1, and 9-9-9-24-2; Frequencies 1600, 1800, and 2000; DRAM Voltage from 1.58 to 1.66 (actual shows 1.648); and QPP/Vtt 1.335, 1.555, and 1.595.

I hesitate to go blinking red on the QPP/Vtt since I should be able to hit the 1.4 to 1.5 range with the 1800/8-8-8-24 settings using a i7-950.

I have also tried two modules (DDR3_1 & DDR3); Channel 0 (DDR3_1 & DDR3_2) and Channel 1 (DDR3_3 & DDR3_4); all freeze at the same point (4096M Memory)

Regretfully, I do not have any other DDR3 motherboard or memory available to cross test with.

Is this a MotherBoard problem or a Memory problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Access57; 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM. Reason: Correction

Don't want red....might try 1600, 8-8-8-24, 2, at stock voltage and see what happens...if okay there, gradually work it up. If you could your BIOS setting might be able to find something a little clearer...................will be on and off today

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Failed

Still freezes at 3%

This is what I did:

Cleared CMOS
      Loaded Optimized values
      FSB is 200
      CPU MUlt is 15x (3,000)
      Mem Mult is 8x (1600)
      Performance Enhancement changed to standard
      XMP was disabled
      DRAM TIming changed to Expert
      set all 3 CAS as follows: 8-8-8-24 & command rate to 2 (again, all 3 channels)
      no change to Voltage

SYSTEM FROZE at Test 0, 3%

Then I maxed the Voltage as follows:

DRAM Voltage to 1.66 (actual is 1.648)
      QPP/Vtt Voltage to 1.595 (max without going blinking red)

DITTO, SYSTEM FREEZES at TEST 0, 3%

Appreciate any help, going to dinner, back in a little while,

Thanks!

P.S. I have only tested the individual modules at the original BIOS settings (i.e. 1066 Frequency); when I have time, I will test them at spec (9-9-9-24-2 @ 2000).
      Last edited by Access57; 12-25-2010, 04:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Might take a look at the settings here, to compare to your BIOS

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1322

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Next Attempt

Thanks - I will double check those later this evening when I get back.

Comment

I'll check back in awhile, just had another bundle of folks stop by...round 3 today

Tman

Comment

No Luck

Well, basically I tried everything that I can find on the forum and the system always freezes at 3% when I have all three modules in place (apparently when it is trying to access the 2nd Module, i.e. 4096M to 6144M of Memory).

Specifically, I checked the thread you referenced and modified all the secondary settings (QPI Pull, IOH Core, etc.) and changed the tRAS from 24 to 27 but same results - freezes at 3%.

So my last resort is updating the BIOS - so I tried that, going from the original FB to FE1 (which is the latest BIOS, a beta - what do I have to lose?). But same thing, system locks up at Test 0, 3%, 5 seconds into memtest86 using the Original BIOS settings (1066 & mostly "Autos")

Any other suggestions?

(I may run Memtest overnight with a single module in DDR3_1 slot to see how it does for several hours / passes).

Thanks

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%

Here are the results from running a single module in DDR3_1:

With original BIOS settings, i.e. 1066 Frequency and mostly "auto" settings - ran 3 passes with no errors.

Tried the 1800 / 8-8-8-24 settings - reboots and resets BIOS back to default value after pulsating error beeps.

Tried the 2000 / 9-9-9-24-2, VCore 1.325, QPI/Vtt 1.595, and DRAM 1.64 - ditto above, pulsating error beeps, reboots with default BIOS settings.

Tried running at 1600 / 9-9-9-24-2, VCore actual is 1.280, QPI/Vtt set at 1.595, DRAM Actual 1.616 and it PASSED one standard cycle. I will optimize the 1600 settings Sunday morning and try and get the 1800 and 2000 frequencies working.
              Last edited by Access57; 12-25-2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: Follow-up

Comment

Seems odd all three sticks would be bad....might try a different version of MemTest w/ 1 stick at a time, might reseat the CPU and make sure no thermal compound got around the pins (the bottom).....the try starting up with only the cpu/cooler, video, ram and keyboard installed (i.e. disconnect all the cables to frives peripherals, usb, etc. ensure all attachment points to mobo are tight (or even remove mobo from case to eliminate the possibility of a short.

Tman

Comment

Next Attempt

You may be on to something -

Looking at the Memtest86 webpage, I found this comment:

"Version 3.5A corrects a bug in 3.5 that prevented testing more than 4Gb of Memory; Version 3.5A now works with up to 64Gb of Memory."

The website goes on to explain they are in the process of a major re-write and will have Version 4 available in January.

(Am I using the wrong memory testor? 3.5a dated 11/23/2010? It certainly seems like I hit a wall at 4Gb, it has the bug fix, but maybe it still has an issue with my architecture (like Triple Channel). Wow, that would be great news to hear that it is the software and not the RAM, Motherboard, and/or Processor. I will try the other "Memtest" (sans 86) Version 4.0 when I return this afternoon.

As for the hardware, I am running a stripped down version as is - I just built the machine a couple days ago and the only extra item I have attached is the mouse (no floppy, so I am using the DVD Drive to run the Memtest). As for the cooler, it is new, so it already had the thermal grease preinstalled.)

Anyway, I will run the tests and report back ASAP.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Comment

I'll be checking back in a little later, couple hours or so.

Tman

Comment

Finally making some positive progress

Okay - my bad, it has been a while since I have built a machine and I am a little rusty on which software to use.

On my system, the Memory Testing software, "Version 3.5a" appears to have a bug/glitch when processing more than 4Gb. Now I am using the "Plus" program, the latest version is 4.10, dated 04/05/2010 (compared to version 3.5a dated 11/23/2010).

No problem passing the 3% mark, I am almost up to 50% and have another half hour to test for my first cycle, but no errors at this point using the original BIOS Settings (i.e. 1066 Frequency, 7-7-7-24).

Does anyone use the XMP settings for DDR3 2000, or will I get better results with the manual settings?

I will report back again later tonight once I have had an opportunity to adjust the settings and optimize the performance.

(I am quite happy that it was a software issue and not the Motherboard, RAM, or processor!)

Thanks,

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Completed one cycle of the Standard test with no errors, Hoorah! Now I am going to raise the frequency from the default 1066 to 1800 using the 8-8-8-24-1 setting and see what happens.
                      Last edited by Access57; 12-26-2010, 02:53 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

IT will probably finish this evening, I'll be around, glad to hear this is working now, let me know - as to XMP can give it a try and see what it set's up at, Personally, I like to set boxes up manually, different DRAM makers and mobo makers implement XMP differently

Tman

Comment

Optimization

Here is the latest status after about 70 "optimizing" trials:

For various reasons, I have decided to start with a CPU Core of 1.25V; using that as my initial reference point, I was able to find the CPU limits (bclock of 220 and CPU Freq of 4400). (At the moment, I have not installed my OS. Once my system is configured, I will go back and verify that this Core voltage is within acceptable temperature levels).

So I am thinking of running bclock at 200, Mem Mult of 10 (DDR3 2000), and a CPU mult of 20 (4.0GHz). Which leaves the memory optimization.

CAS 10-10-10-27-2 works using a DRAM setting of 1.58V (1.568V actual, if I use a setting of 1.56 my actual is 1.536 which is below the DRAM spec of 1.55V). My QPP/Vtt is 1.435V (I am in the processing of testing down to 1.315V).

CAS 9-9-9-24-2 will only make DDR3 1900 (by slowing the bclock down to 190) using a DRAM Setting of 1.66v (1.648V actual) and QPP/Vtt from 1.315 to 1.595. I do not want to exceed the Intel advice of 1.65V max, so I can not reach DDR3 2000 with any CAS 9 settings.

CAS 8-8-8-24-1 will not make DDR3 1800 using either DRAM 1.568V actual or 1.632V actual and a QPP/Vtt of 1.315. Since my focus is on getting DDR3 2000, I am not doing any more testing at this level.

On the positive side, I was able to run memtest+, bclock 180, Mem Mult 10 (DDR3 1800), and CPU Mult of 20 (3.6GHz) at 9-9-9-24-2 with CPU core of 1.25V (1.232V actual), DRAM 1.58V (1.568V actual), and QPP/Vtt of 1.315 for 5 passes, 7:33:47 with no errors.

So the RAM is good, but does not perform at the F3-16000CL9T spec of CAS 9, 1.55V level.

Any suggestions or comments of what settings I should target (i.e. bclock 200, mem mult of 10, and cpu mult of 20, CAS 10)? How much am I losing at CAS 10 versus CAS 9? Am I better off going with CAS 8 timings?

Thanks

Comment

To hit the spec speed may have to play w/ QPI voltages and just sort of feel it out

Tman

Comment

On the positive side, I was able to run memtest+, bclock 180, Mem Mult 10 (DDR3 1800), and CPU Mult of 20 (3.6GHz) at 9-9-9-24-2 with CPU core of 1.25V (1.232V actual), DRAM 1.58V (1.568V actual), and QPP/Vtt of 1.315 for 5 passes, 7:33:47 with no errors.
                              Based on these settings, raise BCLK, DRAM Voltage, and QPI/VTT Voltage to reach DDR3-2000.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X