• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This RAM or that RAM

Hello,
    I have the
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3
    and
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. I bought G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 and installed it.
    When I booted up the mobo signaled that it had no memory. I did the usual test and determined that the mobo was bad. Sent mobo and ram back to Newegg. Now I am waiting for the replacement mobo. I have been doing some reading here and now I am not sure which ram I should purchase. And I have a new question...is it better to install 2x4g or 4x2g.
    I am looking at purchasing the
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ~ 99.99
    or
    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ~ 109.99.
    Please help me with your opinions and ideas.

Also I wanted to confirm that I should be able to install this into the mobo and boot it without changing anything with the board before I do? This is a brand new install of all parts.

It's been 7 years since I built a computer and I am very excited to get this one going.
    CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@

Mobo ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

Video XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

Case BT90-B http://www.beantech.com/acrylic-bt90.htm

Monitor Ensignia 32" HDTV 1080P

From my experience, going with 2x4GB would put less stress on the IMC versus having all dimms populated.
    Now my question to you is why do you need 8GB of memory?
    Unless you're running a server or workstation, a home PC won't utilize that much memory.
    My recommendation for memory: G. Skill Flare series
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

I'd go w/ the 2x4GB also....1600 will be a good speed, may still need to make a couple adjustments in the BIOS, prob just the speed as I believe your mobo defaults to 1333....+ with the 2x4GB you do have room for expansion later if need be....8GB is a good number, that's what I generally recommend to most of my clients if you'll really be using the computer, multiple windows, photos, video, etc. Besides, you can never have too much RAM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I was going with 8g just to have plenty. Is there a concern with having too much? This is my home computer. Kids use it for home schooling and I rock out and game when they are not on it. I want this comp to be as fast as it can when gaming.

And thank you for taking the time to look my post over.

Comment

No, no concern, from my perspective anyway or most others, I've advocated the 64bit Win and 8GB for quite some time now..it's probably seldom you'll use all 8, but in the meantime it helps speed up things allows more to be allocated to the GPU and once you gauge your usage, you could put use some as a RAM disk to speed things up even more.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Think I'm gona go with the

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ~ 109.99.

over the

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ~ 99.99

When it gets here I'm sure I'll want to tweek it.

Comment

Let us know, I think you'll be happy w/ them

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X