No announcement yet.

Settings request for 4GB (2 x 2GB) F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM on GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settings request for 4GB (2 x 2GB) F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM on GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H

This is my 1st build and i have the above with a Phenom II X4 970 BE C3 and though everything fired up on 1st boot, the sticks defaulted to 1333 at dual channel mode and everything runs smooth at this with no errors, issues and passed memtest and prime95. Also, mobo purchased have bios rev 2.2 (i believe is latest version).

However, with everything else at auto, i tried to manually set the timings to 1600 as per product specs 8-8-8-24 2T v1.605 also tried at 1.65, CPU NB Vid at 1.2 (auto). I've researched in other forums but its still giving me some stability issues (i.e. bsod, random shutdowns).

I'm dumbfounded and finally realized that i need to ask the experts on this, that's why i came here and would like to ask for assistance on having my rig run stable at spec. i'm not really tech savvy, so if you can please use details and simple terms, that'll be appreciated.

Thanks...

My apologies if there is a similar thread where i should have posted this but i tried to search for a same case as mine but couldn't find any.
    Last edited by slamtaz; 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: make statement clear

Could you post your BIOS Settings - see you raised CPU/NB, could try raising NB itself .05 to .1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i'm at the ofc right now and can get you the detailed settings later. for what i remember, i tried bios setting for ram at 8-8-8-24 2T (also tried 1T) at 1.605 v (also tried 1.65). i did not touch the CPU NB Vid and is at 1.2 (on auto/normal).

will this suffice? if not, what specific setting in bios do you need me to post?

thanks for replying and looking into my issue so promptly!

Comment

Test one module at a time to see if one is defective causing the problem.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

apologies for asking too much, as i'm new to this and not really tech savvy, which particular test would you like me to do on each module and at what setting?

i will try NB at .1 from .05 later as mentioned by Tradesman but if i may ask again, are there settings you recommend that i'm not doing?

thanks

Comment

No, DDR3-1600, 8-8-8-24-2T, 1.60V, CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V should be all you need.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

okay, thanks again!!! you guys are fast on the draw. what i heard from the other forums are so true!!! you're products are great not just because you've got great products but more so with matching great customer support!!!

but to reinforce my dumb image, cpu-nb is the the same as cpu nb vid on my mobo bios settings and when i manually adjust that, i will choose "+0.05", right?

also, there is no exact 1.6 v manual bios setting for the memory voltage on my mobo, only 1.605 v, i read around that that should be fine, right?

Comment

Yes, CPU NB VID is the same. 1.605V is perfectly fine.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

1st of all, i would like to thank you for the settings as it seems to have solved my issues

update => over the weekend
                  • settings were changed as indicated above
                  • booted fine and seemed to run normally fast :-)
                  • no errors on several memtest and prime95 passes
                  • played dragon age origins for 1st time after settings were updated in bios (i.e. gpu - sapphire 5770 100283-3L) and had a bsod
                  • did a reset and ran again and never experienced any bsod or error again over the weekend
                  • did memtest and prime95 after bsod and all went fine

the bsod that happened above was the 1st instance while playing dragon age for 1st time after settingw were changed, though the game was already played without bsod or any error prior to the update of memory setting in bios. no other error nor bsod nor issue was encountered over the weekend except that one. the pc was used in a wide variety of activities (i.e. gaming, movies, surfing, data processing, etc)

i am now thinking of two things which i hope you guys can answer???
                  1. would you have an idea for that single bsod event (sorry but was unable to get details cause it was set to automatically reset)
                  2. should things run rock solid from hereon and i certainly hope it does :-) i'm thinking of adding 2 more sticks of the same ram, will that go well with my set up?

Again, thank you and here's looking forward to a long and productive journey with gskill!

Comment

The BSOD could have been about anything, should be fine now, if you were to add two more sticks the tRFC should go up automatically, your probly about 110 or so now and will want 160 or so, other than that only thing might be a bit more voltage to run 8, but I'd wait and see

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so it's okay to get 2 more sticks of F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM?

i'm asking to be sure because others say in other forums that 2 sets of 2 sticks in each pack may not perform as well or the same as 4 sticks in each pack and could result to issues.

if the issue will be something that can be addressed, as you say might be, by manually tweaking the bios then i will be okay with that. i just wouldn't want to purchase another set just to return it in the end due to compatibility issues beyond manual bios settings.

Comment

Biggie here is 4 sticks in a single pack are pretested to work w/ each other. Buying two separate sets of 2 ea may have a slight difference that requires some playing with the settings, not always, but occasionally. They can normally, fairly easily be combined, with manual tweaks.

Tman

Comment

okay, so i got new games to test yesterday and started playing them, to my disappointment i start getting bsod and had to reset and the same happened for each and every new game i tested (i.e. 5770 gpu model below).

i was thinking of either the following:
                          • reset the bios to optimized default, letting the memory stay @ 1333 instead of 1600
                          • could it be the discrete 5770 card?
                          • play with the settings that were manually changed by smallest increment at a time and see how it goes

with the 1st option, i was saying to myself, hey, if 1600 sticks dont work with the cpu/mobo then that should have been clearly stated but since its not, then i would like to have it work at 1600 and if i will be system limited to 1333, then might as well return the sticks and get a 1333 instead for a cheaper price

with the 2nd option, i was reasoning that if it were the gpu then i should have problems with the display right off the bat when the monitor lights up but it has been displaying great video output and did well with the loaded driver which auto adjusted the display to max spec at all times.

with the 3rd option, i thought this is were i should start 1st because i read somewhere that the voltage supplied may need to be increased to support the higher speed (i.e. am i saying that right) as the cpu/board considers it an overclocking of the ram since the default max is apparently 1333 only with the auto voltage setting of the NB at 1.1v.

it was earlier suggested to me here that this be increased by 0.05 to 1.15v. it worked with one bsod over the weekend so maybe i can add by increments of 0.025 (i.e. mobo bios increments) which i did initially to 1.175v. if ever it gives me bsod again or random crashes/shutdown, am thinking of raising it again to 1.2v.

now, it seems to be working fine again even with all the new games i tested overnight though i still have lingering doubts in my head.

did i do the right thing, meaning will there be any negative effect to that? if this proves to be the stable setting then i guess it's okay but i still cant help but think and ask all you who are a lot more knowledgeable than me, if there is a better solution or if not, if any negative will result because of this.

sorry, if too long, this is my 1st build and still learning the ropes.
                          Last edited by slamtaz; 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

You have the right idea, it is exactly correct.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

update with the latest setting...

5 passes on memtest with no errors
                              2 hours on prime95 with no errors
                              left pc on this morning before leaving for work with test apps on and will see this afternoon when i get home
                              played the same games, as i did that gave me bsods before this latest setting, and so far, no more bsods, no crashes/shutdowns, no errors

hope this is the sweetspot and will prove to be rocksolid from hereon

to gskill tech and tradesman, thanks to all the learnings. gskill products, customer service and support is proving to be at the top of their game! hope things will not change at gskill and not rest on your laurels unlike what i will say next/below about another company.

will most likely buy 2 more sticks after a week of stable run. it's great that the price dropped since i bought it 2 weeks ago but it sucks big time that newegg will not do price adjustment. thumbs down to newegg for that... (i.e. i know i'm off topic, just ranting)

Comment

Working...
                              X