Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PI Silver Edition and PI Black Edition identical tech specifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI Silver Edition and PI Black Edition identical tech specifications?

Hi,I've build my rig in 2009(been upgrading reguraly) and the memory kit I've chosen back then was the PI Silver Edition pc12800 6GB 1600MHz 3-channel kit,which Im quite happy with..recently I was thinking to upgrade to 12GB(I know you will say its not really neccesary) but unfortunately its seems to be impossible to come across with the PI Silver Edition..however I've seen the PI Black Edition and to me it seems to have the same specifications..so would I be able to use them in combination?
    Last edited by Rado D; 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM.

I imagine you can get them to work together with some tweaking, but I'll leave it for GSkill to make the definitive call, 12GB might be a bit tough unless the timings are loosened.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      I imagine you can get them to work together with some tweaking, but I'll leave it for GSkill to make the definitive call, 12GB might be a bit tough unless the timings are loosened.
      You cant run 12GB at default(or lower ) timings without possible issues?I didnt know about that.what is the reason?

Comment

Not positive if the PI-B and the Silvers use the same ICs, which could cause a problem, and in general even with same exact model of sticks they might not 'play' well together, especially if from different lots. That's why the sticks sold in sets are tested to work with each other before hitting the shelves

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks,I knew most of this,just was curious.but you didnt answer my previous question about a 12GB kit having possible issues running and why is that.

Comment

Not positive if the PI-B and the Silvers use the same ICs, which could cause a problem, and in general even with same exact model of sticks they might not 'play' well together, especially if from different lots. That's why the sticks sold in sets are tested to work with each other before hitting the shelves
            that means even if I would have a newer 6GB kit whatever brand and would just want to add another 6GB of it,it could be a trouble?uhm,that sounds a bit harsh to me..another thing is,there is very limited options on ready tested 12GB kits.I've seen only a few...Im sure there is a lot of folks out there using 12GB so how comes the web is not full of threads about another 6GB of the same kit added later not working well toghether?

Comment

Sort of back to the same thing of the sticks not wanting to play well together which is increased by the total DRAM of 12GB and having 6 sticks. Was just speaking in general of mixing sticks, as this goes with any system. As to your situation, appears you're running Intel, so other things that would come into play are the mobo and the CPU, the stronger you have the better the chance, i.e. chances are a lot better if you are running a X58 and a 970 than you are with a 650 and a H55 or an entry level P55 or whatever. A common misnomer among many is that if a mobo is advertised as maxing at 24GB or whatever, they figure thats all they need to know, and expect it to run 24GB, then they pick up an entry level CPU which just can't do it. This is particularly true of AMD combos, where most all 4 slot mobos advertise 16GB as the max, but to have a chance to do it with a $60 mobo, you'd prob need a x4 970 or a Thuban, and even then you may have problems.

Tman

Comment

Sort of back to the same thing of the sticks not wanting to play well together which is increased by the total DRAM of 12GB and having 6 sticks. Was just speaking in general of mixing sticks, as this goes with any system. As to your situation, appears you're running Intel, so other things that would come into play are the mobo and the CPU, the stronger you have the better the chance, i.e. chances are a lot better if you are running a X58 and a 970 than you are with a 650 and a H55 or an entry level P55 or whatever. A common misnomer among many is that if a mobo is advertised as maxing at 24GB or whatever, they figure thats all they need to know, and expect it to run 24GB, then they pick up an entry level CPU which just can't do it. This is particularly true of AMD combos, where most all 4 slot mobos advertise 16GB as the max, but to have a chance to do it with a $60 mobo, you'd prob need a x4 970 or a Thuban, and even then you may have problems.
                Thanks for info..I've just upgraded from Asus P6T Deluxe mobo to Asus ROG Rampage III Extreme and swapped a i7 920 for i7 950..that should be powerful enough,right?

Comment

Yep, in fact, just got a PM from a guy I know that is extremely good - he was tellin me about some of his mods and playing with the 950, guess he's taken one up to 4.78GHz

Tman

Comment

Well the modules (actually chips), must be compatible with each other. Triple channel is picky, so sometimes two seperate kits may not work together. This is why we must offer tested 12GB kits.

If they are incompatible, send them in for RMA, request testing, and we will ship 6 modules that can work together.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X