Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with F3-10666CL7T 12GB on Asus MB

Hi,

I'm running into a problem where 6 sticks of F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK are randomly seen as 8GB in dual channel instead of 12GB in tri-channel on any Asus MB's (P6T Deluxe V1, P6T Deluxe V2, P6TD Deluxe, P6X58D Deluxe). It happens at least 50% of the time from cold boot and about 80% of the time on a restart. The RAM seems stable after boot. Several runs of memtest x86+ haven't shown any problems.

I have been working with Asus for 2 solid months trying different boards, different configurations and different settings. My RAM is currently in their tech support department where they are going through a final round of attempting to get the RAM recognized consitently. I have also RMA'd the CPU and have tried the new stepping of the i7 920 in the board at home without any change.

System Specs:
    Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU -1000HX A
    (original)MB: P6T Deluxe V1
    Video: GeForce GTX260CORE216SC
    CPU: i7 920

Asus has been able to get DDR3 RAM from other vendors to work in 12GB configuration (6x2gb) on all the boards they've tested.

I've seen other threads where the G.SKILL representative said you should be able to get this specific RAM to work in 12GB configuration on the P6T Deluxe Version 2 (which isn't working for us right now).

My Question is - is it possible that this RAM is defective in a sublte way that would cause this problem? They are trying to test the ram stick by stick again to find a troublemaker but I think they've done that in the past on a previous board.

Are there any Asus boards known to work in 12gb configuration with this RAM? Are there any special settings needed to get it to recognize the ram as 12gb consistently? Any ideas as to why the RAM is randomly shutting down to dual channel and locking out two of the dimms?

(I believe we've tried QPIv 1.268, DRAM busv 1.64 (and others) along with manually setting the 7-7-7-18-2N within the bios, as well as leaving certain things auto detected to see if that would make a difference... and so far no difference)

Please help me out. Both me and the Asus representative would like to figure this out (they mentioned they would be willing to speak to a representative if available as well).

Thank you!

The thread I saw where the G.SKILL rep mentioned that this model of RAM should work on the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board is at this link:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.ph...t=F3-10666cl7t

Comment

If you have been working this problem for two months, have already rma'd motherboard, cpu and you're able to get other brands of ram to work correctly with your current hardware..............

I think it's RMA time for the RAM.

Just my 2 cents worth.
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
      Corsair TX950W
      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Yeah... that's what I'm thinking too... but I would like confirmation from G.SKILL that they consider this an RMA'able issue that they understand before I send off the RAM.

Comment

Just fill out the RMA request and submit it. As long as they approve the RMA they will replace the memory regardless.

Ask them to pretest before shipping
          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
          Intel i7 950
          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
          OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
          WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
          WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
          Corsair TX950W
          Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Thanks, I'm not really familiar with how they work their RMA process here. I'm a little concerned that they would get the RAM, decide there's no problem and then charge me for shipping.

I wonder if I could arrange an RMA directly to and from Asus's RMA department or if I must ship from and have the RAM returned to my home address?

I'd love to have a G.SKILL rep give their thoughts on my issues and this question

Comment

No problem, go ahead and send them in to us, request to have them tested, the new kits you receive should work fine. If they do not, the problem may lie elsewhere. But it does seem like a memory problem... also we will not charge you for anything even if the memory is not defective.

You can surely send/receive it from ASUS as long as they don't mind.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you!

Having Asus send the RAM and receive it back for additional testing will save a lot of time.

Comment

Working...
                X