Put in wrong RAM, now will not boot with old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put in wrong RAM, now will not boot with old

I pulled a no brainer on this one. Intel DX38BT motherboard, Intel q6700 processor, Windows 7-64, Two sticks of Corsair CM3X1024-1333C9. System was working fine. I had 4 sticks of G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and I pulled out the Corsair memory and put in 2 sticks of the G.SKILL.

I don't believe that memory is compatible and that resulted in a no-boot. Just 3 beeps and that is all she wrote. Pulled out the G.SKILL, put the Corsair back in and all it will now do is give me 3 beeps.

How much damage have I done?? Did I just confuse the BIOS or fry the motherboard? Or something else. Best guesses please. Looks like the Intel DX38BT only supports DDR3 SDRAM Frequencies: PC3-6400, PC3-8500 and PC3-10600. It sure did not like this PC 12800. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kingfish15; 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM. Reason: more info

This shouldn't be a big issue. We just need to do a full CMOS clear and that should get everything back in operating order.

1. Power off computer and disconnect power supply plug from outlet
    2. Move CMOS jumper to the clear position
    3. Remove the CMOS battery
    4. Remove all memory modules
    5. Wait a few minutes
    6. Install one module of the Corsair memory in DIMM A1 or DIMM B1 (whichever one Intel tells you to use for a single stick of RAM)
    7. Move CMOS jumper to the save position
    8. Install CMOS battery
    9. Plug power supply back into the outlet
    10. Boot, enter BIOS and load defaults
    11. Save, exit and power back down.
    12. Add the second stick of memory - and power up

You should be good to go.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

WOW - That sure was a quick response. Thanks. I'll give it a try this evening.

Comment

Let us know how it goes.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

Here are Intel's steps for clearing the CMOS

If you cannot enter the BIOS Setup, clear the CMOS:

Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
          Disconnect the computer?s power cord from the AC power source (wall outlet or power adapter).
          Remove the computer cover.
          Locate the battery on the board (see figure below).
          With a medium flat-bladed screwdriver, gently pry the battery free from its connector. Note the orientation of the ?+? and ?-? on the battery.
          Wait one hour then replace the battery.
          Replace the computer cover.
          Plug the computer and all devices back in.

Went through the steps you provided me with twice with each stick of memory and once more with each stick of memory using Intels steps. On the second try on the Intel, I waited two hours before popping the battery back in.

Nothing ever changed. When the power supply is turned on nothing much should normally happen until the on switch in the front panel is turned on, but now as soon as power is turnedf on to the power supply, the computer fires off with all fans screaming at top RPM and gives me 3 faint beeps.

Any idea what might make the system power on by itself?? It has never done that before but I'll be darned if I can come up with any reason why sticking in a non-supported memory stick would make that happen. Any guesses.

It is a Gigabyte case with built in water cooling. Q6700 processor. 8800GTS video, Audigy Sound Blaster and a bunch of drives--300GB Velociraptor C: drive, 300 GB Velociraptor D: drive, E: drive (2) 500 Maxtors in Raid 0, and F: drive a 2TB Western Digital. Windows 7 64 bit.

Maybe something will come to me in the middle of the night, but right now I'm out of ideas.
          I guess I'll trace all the wiring again and try clearing the CMOS again.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that installing the wrong speed RAM would bust your board or your BIOS (as long as the form factor was the same - i.e. DDR3) but I guess that it could happen.

My only similar experience with fans starting and blowing at full speed but not getting a post of any sorts was on a couple of MSI boards. In both situations it turned out to be the motherboard. One I fixed myself with a new BIOS chip, the other was still under warranty so I exchanged it.

Not sure if the same holds true for an Intel board though.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

Working...
            X