X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Boot Issues

CPU- i5 750 2.66Ghz
    Mother Board- Asus Sabertooth 55i p55
    Memory- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Hello GSkill, I recently put together a new build and i have found that it has some serious issues performing cold boots( usually happens when i leave it off over night, but I got it to do it just leaving it off a couple hours). It seems like once the pc has been on for 5-10 minutes it will run stable. The errors i get are the blue screen displaying page fault on non paged area, and it will say something about memory management. Ive tried setting the timing to 7-8-7-24 and 1600mhz voltage 1.6v, it just will not start for me in one attempt when its cold.
    Any ideas what might contribute to this, perhaps a bad module? what to you recommend?

Thanks, Mike

Radical,

In many cases GSkill has been recommending that you RMA the RAM if you're having cold boot issues.

For the majority of users with similar problems, it appears that a new kit of replacement memory has solved their issues.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Yeah thats what i kinda figured,i went ahead and sent the memory back to new Egg this morning. Ill report in once I get the RAm installed.

Comment

Ok,

Keep us posted.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

seems to work

just got the new memory, through it in computers been off for a week and she fired right up. Hopefully it will keep it up!

Comment

Hi,

As I said here : http://gskill.us/forum/showpost.php?p=29591&postcount=6

I am experiencing the same problem.

Some people say that this is the fault of the mem banks (cold boot issue), others say it's a compatibility problem of the non-compatibility of the Mobo with those banks...

Waiting for an answer, but who is right in this case ? Asus or G.Skill ?

Comment

Just because your memory isn't on the qualified memory list doesnt mean it sholdnt work, I believe thats just memory they tested in the board when it came out, meaning you cant always buy that model RAM anymore. I would send your memory back to either the place you purchased it from or Gskill, whatever is more convenient I suppose. I had the same issues, after I got my new memory it works great

Comment

Thanks Radical, it was what I said to Asus when I exlained them my problem ("maybe the QVL is not updated anymore"), but they don't want to listen to me.

I had a problem with the mobo before, cause one slot on the 2 principal (reds) had a problem, and Asus said they repared it.

So because of this, I aren't totally sure G.Skill is the only responsible.

I will wait for a technician answer, and so tell it to my French reseller, and do what I have to.

Comment

Scot,

G.Skill has been pretty lenient in their RMA process regarding cold boot issues. If you have any doubt arrange and RMA with G.Skill and ask them to test the replacement kit before sending it out to you.

I like Asus hardware, but their customer service and support sucks big balls and continues to get worse day by day.

And relative to QVL in general - there isn't any way that the motherboard or memory manufacturer can test every combination of motherboard and memory that can exist out in the market place. It just isn't possible. But that certainly doesn't mean that RAM that isn't on a QVL won't work on a particular board. As long as you're using the correct form factor (i.e. DDR, DDR2, DDR3) and your motherboard and bios support the speed, voltage and timings required by the memory it is almost always compatible.
                  Last edited by wevsspot; 10-26-2010, 05:10 AM.
                  MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                  Intel i7 950
                  GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                  Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                  Corsair TX950W

Comment

I agree with you about QVL wevsspot, and on the fact they can't test evrey existing hardware with the hardware they build. But they should tell on the website and in the QVL it's not exhaustive. That's what I don't really appreciate in their response...

I will send my memory banks to my reseller (as told in the conditions, and as I do every time I have a problem, and they will send it to G.Skill)

Thanks everyone !

Comment

Working...
                    X