GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

$299 for 6GB of RAM who's basic performance you did not specify.

G.Skill makes very nice products. I would love to populate the 6 slots on this motherboard with 6x4GB of G.Skill's top-of-the-line Trident, low-latency, high capacity and speed, multi-module 1.5V kits.

But, I can't do that.

Those chips are extremely expensive. And even if I wanted to buy them, they are not available in Germany.

So, for my first whack, I will dumb down some 12GB of 1.65V 1600MHz Corsair chips to 1.5V 10666MHz chips via the BIOS. I've already bought the stuff, which took weeks to acquire here. Got to give that a try.

Had I known about G.Skill, I might have made a different choice a few months ago. But, now I do and it's nice to know I have options.

Thanks again for your input!

Comment

Oh yea I know, I am just stating for informational purposes. It's not for everybody, only select few will purchase memory like that. Serious overclockers, max gamers, people with bottomless pockets, etc..

Definitely try the Corsairs, you got them, use them. Then if they don't work or whatever the case, then it would make more sense to purchase other memory. I'm not asking you to purchase G.Skill memory and have those Corsairs collect dust. Although, that would be funny. =D

Exactly my goal, so you know you have better options in the future.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks, GSkill Tech, nice response. I'll let you know how I make out. I think this has been a very informative discussion for a lot of people. It's all new, and it's all interesting.

Though I will not actually be using G.Skill chips off the bat, I will recommend G.Skill to the people I know who are trying to do similar things.

Your responses have been honest and informative - and that's what makes everything work in the end. That bleeding edge...

Good to know you're here and making nice products!

And you're very responsive, which is also very much appreciated.

Good job.

Comment

Best of luck JAG (even though you bailed to the blue team )

Hope that you still stop in once in a while to say hello.

Enjoy your rig. In the end we're actually supposed to be able to enjoy our computers right?
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

Monolith

This machine is now up and running with the Corsair RAM, which is not good for the Core i7 Extreme CPU, because the RAM is 1600MHz and demanding 1.6~V. The CPU wants 1.5V.

So, I made a mistake. I can say that now because I've tried everything I know how to do to lower the RAM voltage and speed in Windows 7, and, that's not happening.

So, what I would like to do is replace the RAM with 12GB or more of 1.5V G. Skill stuff. I'm thinking that the Ripjaws series would fill the bill. But, which?

You folks have been very helpful in the past. Point me. And you would not believe this machine... (Make it better!)

Comment

JAG - do you want to go the 3x4gb or 6x2Gb route for getting to your 12Gb target? Let us know.
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                Corsair TX950W

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...12gb&name=1.5V

Thank you