F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL + Asus Sabertooth x58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL + Asus Sabertooth x58

I've recently put together a new system, using 12GB of the Ripjaws 1600MHz DDR3 (6x 2GB sticks) on the Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard. The first time the machine booted, POST detected 12GB ram installed however after a few reboots the ram amounts that show up in Windows 7 x64 change (also during POST). The part that is really throwing me off is that CPU-Z shows 12 GB ram installed when POST/Windows shows 2GB ->8GB (I've had 3 different total figures here on various reboots). On a side note, I've re-seated the ram a few times, changed the positions of each dimm, and have flashed the bios to the latest Sabertoothx58 rom.

On advice from threads here and from friends, it's been suggested that maybe I should bump the voltages up in the bios to get Windows to recognize the full 12GB of ram. Since I've never done this on previous systems, I don't want to fry something so I stopped after the last stable change didn't cause the missing 4 GB of ram to appear. Any help would be lovely, thanks

Bios settings:

AI Overclock Tuner [XMP]
    CPU Ratio Setting [Auto]
    Intel(R) SpeedStep(TM) Tech [Disabled]
    Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode [Auto]
    BCLK Frequency [133]
    PCIE Frequency [100]
    DRAM Frequency [DDR3-1600MHz]
    UCLK Frequency [3200MHz]
    QPI Link Data Rate [Auto]
    ASUS/3rd Party UI Priority [Asus Utility]
    ---------------------
    CPU Voltage Control [Manual]
    CPU Voltage [Auto]
    CPU PLL Voltage [Auto]
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.40000]
    IOH Voltage [Auto]
    IOH PCIE Voltage [Auto]
    ICH Voltage [Auto]
    ICH PCIE Voltage [Auto]
    DRAM Bus Voltage [1.60]
    DRAM Data REF Voltage on CHA [Auto]
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA [Auto]
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB [Auto]
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB [Auto]
    DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC [Auto]
    DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC [Auto]
    -----------------------------------------------
    Load-Line Calibration [Auto]
    CPU Differential Amplitutde [Auto]
    CPU Clock Skew [Auto]
    CPU Spread Spectrum [Auto]
    IOH Clock Skew [Auto]
    PCIE Spread Spectrum [Auto]
    Last edited by sirth21; 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM. Reason: Added in bios settings

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.40000]

way too high..

This voltage is scaled with the DRAM Voltage, so now once side is too high so it is dropping channels. Try AUTO and see how that works.

Also, you purchased 3 different kits, sometimes they may not work together.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Changed the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage from [1.40000] to [Auto]

Currently, still 8 GB ram shows up in Windows/POST, was hoping that would work ;P

I'm curious as to why the same model ram just doesn't show up in various places because you didn't buy a big package of them together.

Comment

The way dual channel works, the memory must be able to communicate the same exact signals. Memory is matched, so when you have different kits, they may not match and work together. As a result, compatibility problems may arise. For this reason, we offer fully tested kits straight out of factory. It is also the reason why they cost more. Matching 2 sticks to work together is much easier than matching 4 or more.

People do purchase multiple kits and a lot of times it does work, but that's just luck of the draw.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I guess the deciding factor to go with multiple kits of this was your companies response to the same ram setup that I did:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4257

Comment

Yes, because if there is a problem, we can exchange them for memory that do work together. =)

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X