Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone got a stable 4ghz overclock with gskill ecos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone got a stable 4ghz overclock with gskill ecos?

hello i have a i7 860, and msi p55 gd50 that im trying to overclock to overclock to 4ghz but im finding it difficult. people are telling me its because of my ram ( gskill eco series 1600mhz 7-8-7-24) and say i need to push its dram voltage up to 1.6v-1.65 but that just doesnt seem safe for 1.35v rated ram.

i get 3.6ghz stable with 1.23vcore and load vcore is about 1.25-1.26. and i struggled to get 3.8ghz stable with 1.31vcore and load vcore is 1.34v. ive been using 1.38-1.455 dram, and 9-9-9-24/7-8-7-24 timings.

anyone's opinion on what to do and if anyone has 4ghz overclocks usings the ecos series ram could you please let me know what type of settings you use would be much appreciated. also what qpi ratio should i use 16/18/auto? most overclocking guides i read say 16 but didnt know if its different with the eco series.

QPI Ratio is fine on AUTO. The BIOS will set that depending on your memory multiplier.

You should have no problems overclocking with this memory. What settings are you using?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

stable at 3.6ghz is 1.23vcore, 1.38dram, auto cpu vtt, auto cpu pll, cie, speedstep, intel turbo boost, overspeed protection, spread spectrum all disabled. i was using qpi ration at 16, memory ratio at 4, 21 cpu multiplier. i have to bump vcore all the way to 1.31vcore just for 3.8ghz stable. not sure what pll and vtt is needed but ive set them to 1.81pll, 1.21vtt.

and i seem to be unable to get a stable 4ghz oc. im being told by others who have the same motherboard that its the rams fault for hard stable overclock for 3.8 and 4ghz, due to being low timing ram.

a quote from one person:
      "If you're using low-voltage DDR3 (1.35v stuff) then the system will suffer problems at high BCLK. (ie... anything higher than 133) I've noticed from all my time on X58 and P55 that RAM timings and MHz need more voltage to be stable as the BCLK increases.... weird, but true. Zac @ HardwareCanucks found the same thing while he was testing the G.Skill ECo kit.

3.6GHz is generally the stop-point for low volts and low temps operation. 3.8GHz+ needs bigger voltages increases for stability... and the temps start to runaway. Your temps look pretty good though, so hopefully it's not that

Easiest thing to do..... drop your RAM timings to 9-9-9 and run at 1.60v. Back off the RAM multiplier and focus 100% on the CPU clock. The only things you should need to change are vTT and vCore. If you get improved stability, something to do with the IMC or RAM was the problem

The other thing to say... All these CPUs are much happier with odd multiplier. so, for 4GHz.... 191x21 or 210x19 should behave better than 200x20... especially if the CPU is on the edge of stability "

Comment

You can easily raise voltage to 1.50V and run at DDR3-1800, or more voltage for DDR3-2000 or lower timings. It may be difficult with memory at 1.35V, but this memory can handle 1.50V+, that's the key.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X