Did I break something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I break something?

I installed 12gb (6 x 2) GSkill Tridents at 2000mhz. I'm running these on a Asus Rampage III Extreme and my cpu is a Intel i7 980x. I was able to get my system to boot after a little work, but not I can't get past "detect memory" on the post.

When I first installed these, I had to remove and reinsert the dimms in my ram slots to get it to boot and see all 12gb. Once I was able to boot, I was not able to use the full 2000mhz, the highest I could get to work was 1877. I manually entered the timings 9-9-9-27 and set the dram voltage to 1.65.

Now I have a much bigger problem and I'm not sure what could have happened. I was trying to get the 2000mhz to work, I raised my cpu voltage to 1.48 and my qpi/dram to 1.50 (I tried lower values and it either didn't post or it wouldn't recognize 12gb). I was able to boot into windows but only 6gb was recognized. When this happened on the lower speed of 1877 I just raised the qpi a little and everything worked. So I raised my voltage a little bit, qpi 1.51 and cpu 1.5, I left the dram at 1.65. I restarted and have not been able to get past "detect memory" since.

There is no way I can get into my bios. I have cleared the cmos which didn't help. I removed some sticks and tried 6gb, then just tried it with 4gb and now im down to 1 stick in slot b1 and I still can't post. I have let my system sit overnight unplugged and it didn't help. Could my ram have gotten fried somehow?? Any idea how I can fix this?

Normally if I have a problem posting and shut the computer off, my mobo sets everything to the default and sends my to the bios. That is what happened with all my pay attempts, but this time that is not happening. Im just stuck at "detect memory."

Saw you rest the BIOS, have you tried removing all power and the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes or, that should give a complete reset, then try to boot w/ a single stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I got it working again. Someone at i4memory.com suggested I try hitting the "go" button on my mobo avd that did the trick. It booted right up in detected my one 2gb stick right away. Then I put all my sticks back and the 12gb was also detected with no problem. I never used that go button before but it seems like it does the job it is supposed to. Since I pressed it my system is actually working better then it did before I had the problem. I'm now using all 6 2gb sticks at 2000mhz, 9-9-9-27 with a bclk of 14gb_with less voltage then ever. My cpu voltage is set to auto which didn't work before, qpi/dram is 10r.40, dram is 1.65.

So I guess the lesson here is this- if you are having memory issues on an Asus board, try the go button first.

thanks for your input. I hope my success story can help someone else.

Comment

Working...
      X