Dual-Channel automatically disabling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-Channel automatically disabling

Alright, so I just switched over from 4 gigs of g-skill ripjaws 1600 9-9-9-27 and installed 8 gigs of ripjaws 1600 7-7-7-24 RAM in my 790fx-gd70 MSI motherboard (Phenom ii x4 965).

With the old 9-9-9-27 RAM installed, my motherboard automatically detects that it is dual-channel, but with the new RAM, no such luck. I've tried each set independently, both at the same time, switching sticks between the sets, using only slots 1 and 3 on the board, etc. I ran memtest x86+ with no errors. I've both manually and automatically set all timings for the ram in my BIOS as well with no luck. (Auto-detects the proper 1600 as well) The voltage is confirmed to be correct. I can locate no options to force dual-channel in my BIOS (which was recently updated).

Occasionally the computer BSODs, though I installed a new SSD at the time which has already been confirmed with tests to have several failed sectors that have been re-allocated. I suspect the hard drive much more than the ram because of these test results for the blue screens. When debugging the minidump files , the windows core process is what was failing.

Am I missing anything in my RAM testing / Configurations?

You installed 8GB as in 2x4GB or 4x2GB?

Comment

4x2gb (bought as two separate dual channel kits) Tried each set independently in the correct slots, tried them in random slots, tried swapping sticks between the two sets as well.

Comment

Did you raise CPU-NB Voltage? The memory controller may be overloaded due to 4 modules. Or, pull 2 modules out and it should be stable.

You can also try raising timings to 8-8-8-24 to see if that's causing the problem. Not all AMD CPUs are capable of DDR3-1600 CL7

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Would my timings really be affecting the ram auto detecting dual channel that much? I'll go test it right now, but I can safely say I've never once had issues running 1600 on either of my AMD builds.

Comment

No, dual channel should be active as long as you have them installed in the correct slots. I just want to make sure you are using the correct settings, if problem persists, send them in for new replacements. If that does not solve the problem, then the motherboard or CPU may be defective. Those are typically the culprit for channel problems..

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X