Need Help With Changing Ram to 1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With Changing Ram to 1600

I just completed my 1st build and fortunately it didn't explode when I hit the power button. I would like to change the BIOS settings on the RAM to get it from the default of 1333 to 1600 but not sure how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Here are my components:

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P
    Intel i5-750
    G.Skill Ripjaws (2GBx4) DDR3 1600 Model #F3-12800CL9D

Enter BIOS and select MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) menu
    Scroll down to Advanced Frequency Settings and open that sub-menu
    Scroll down to Base Clock(BCLK) Control and change from "Disabled" to "Enabled"
    Now change the BCLK frequency from 133Mhz to 160Mhz

Doing this will also overclock your processor to 3.2Ghz - so if you don't want to overclock your CPU as well then you will need to use a lower cpu multiplier to keep it at it's stock frequency.

An example;
    Stock = CPU Multiplier x BCLK
    20 x 133 = 2.66Ghz

Overclocked = CPU Multiplier x BCLK
    20 x 160 = 3.20Ghz

If you want to reduce your cpu back down to near stock frequency and keep the 160 BCLK to get your RAM to DDR3 1600 speeds, you will need to change your CPU multiplier to 16 or 17
    Last edited by wevsspot; 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Thanks much for the help. I am using the stock cooler that came with the CPU as I don;t have big plans to overclock anything. I was curious if by making this change to the RAM is a big enough change that would require a 3rd party cooler. Thanks again.

Comment

No, not this memory. Only DDR3-2000+ do you need to consider a CPU cooler, or if you plan on overclocking beyond 4.0GHz.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X