Ram Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Recommendation

I just purchased M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. I currently have 4x2 G of corsair Ram. I am having some problems with the RAM and the system constantly crashes. I have yet to get the RAM to run at its rated 1600 9/9/9/24 1.8v settings. I am lucky to just get 1067Mhz. The system still seems unstable.

The plan is for Windows 7 using vmware server to keep my CentOS on one VM. The system will be a file sever of large amount of storage, and possibly 1 more VM.

I have a corsair TX750W power supply, 2x super micro PCI-E SAS (2x 4) controllers, PCI-e Dual Intel NIC, and AMD Athlon II X2 240E Processor.

What I am looking for is 2x4G of Ram that will run at its advertised settings. I believe the board is rated for 1333/1600/2000. I am looking for recommendations based on the above hardware and requirements and any recommendations of mobo tweaks to make it work.

currently I am looking at this: F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Thank you.

I think that kit is a very good choice.....................
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

That is the kit to go with, but if your plan is for VM, you will want a better CPU. ;-)

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well the goal was to save power, and make a file server, that had VMserver and house my CENTos. I went back to re-evaluated the processor. I figured I had enough processing power, I was incorrect.

I went with AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, and will use the 240E for something else.

Thank you for all the responses!

Now what are the recommended settings for this RAM. Power adjustments, timings, etc etc with this MOBO.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Figured it all out. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

I also have ordered a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL fro Newegg. I have a 1090T coming with them.

I don't see that ram listed on the asus website, or that MB listed here... Do you also agree it will work for me?

Comment

Yes, plug and play, will be very good for memory intensive programs.

scmeis1, glad to hear everything is working properly. The G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL is plug and play, so no adjustments needed. ;-)

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes the Ram works well with the board. However, keep this in mind. The board likes to auto overclock. I crashed quite a few times until I get all my settings in correctly.

It only crashed due to auto tuning and Noticed that all the times went way to tight. 6,6,6, 18 1T. Not what the Ram was set to run at. I put it at its rated settings, since Overclocking was not the desired result.

Comment

Auto settings don't always work (as you've found out). Fortunately you're technically competent enough to understand that and also to make the necessary BIOS setting changes to get your rig stable. Nice work and congrats!

Enjoy.
                  MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                  Intel i7 950
                  GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                  Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                  OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
                  WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
                  WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
                  Corsair TX950W
                  Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Working...