Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Heatspreader & Fan/NoctuaNHD14 conflict

I have a question on a new build.
    I intended on using a Noctua NHD14 as my CPU cooler on an Asus Crosshair IV formula mobo for my AMD x6 1055t processor.
    The problem is that because of the size of the heatspreaders on the G.SKILL RAM (F3-16000CL7D) AND the size of the Noctua NHD14 I can't install one or the other. Even if I remove the heatspreaders the RAM fan will then not fit either.
    How critical are the heatspreaders and the RAM fan?

Depends how cool it is in your case, and the air flow.

If you use only 4GB, slot 2 and 4 should clear fine. Only with 1 and 3 may you have problems. I know the fan is adjustable, so you may be able to work around it.

Otherwise, our Thermalright Ultra 120 aka True Black or Prolimatech Megahalem will all clear the memory easily.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well I've turned the Noctua in all 4 directions and there is absolutely no way it's going to fit. Slots 1, 2 and 3 are blocking the bottom fins from even getting anywhere near the CPU by over an inch and a half, fan adjustment isn't the problem, it's the height of the Flare heatspreaders so I'm going with a Corsair H70 cooling system which won't present any height issues at all.

For anyone doing a fresh build I would highly suggest you get the RAM first and see what if any clearance you have and THEN buy your CPU cooler according to it's dimensions. Because of the height of these heat spreaders it's going to knock out man of the available top notch fan controllers with 8 pipe to 10 pipe setups.

Comment

Or.. you could do what I did and removed the heat spreaders and use the bare modules. If you don't have a high enough airflow or fans directly blowing on the RAM themselves I wouldn't recommend removing the modules. But a corsair H70 will be good for your particular setup and will reduce the dust hoarding air-cooled comps do more often. Good luck!
        AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
        ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
        16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
        EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
        EVGA G2 750W
        Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
        ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
        4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
        ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
        SeaSonic X-760 PSU
        G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD