Cant decide what memory to use... MSI 790FX-GD70 + AMD965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Altered View Post
    I really like my GSKILL memory I have it in 2 other machines both are Intel builds. However I was building a all Black edition AMD/ATI machine and really wanted to have full functionality of the AMD OverDrive software. The guy that is getting the machine wanted easy as possible ability to over clock. With no BEMP profile on the GSKILL I went with another company with this build.

Hopefully GSKILL will get into this BEMP stuff and really impress us in the near future. People like easy to use stuff these days and most consumers are afraid to go into the BIOS.
    ??? G.skill doesn't use BEMP they use XMP which is the same exact thing. People are fooled by such marketing gimmicks like "Black Edition" this, and "Overdrive" that. Intel/ATI and AMD/Nvidia builds are just fine. Intel architectures have more headroom for better latencies than AMD platforms do. And the latencies should be as low as possible, yes, but at the highest possible clock speeds. You get far better reads/writes on RAM when they're clocked at higher speeds. Some companies who manufacture RAM modules opt in to attract AMD customers and G.skill does it by using "flare" series RAM modules. I keep having to state this but no matter what RAM sticks you put in to your computer as long as you know the TIMINGS for those particular modules (even if they're not on the QVL list for your motherboard) there's a great chance the modules will still work. AMD processors can't support CL6 (some VERY VERY LUCKY FOLKS have been able to) but CL7 isn't much slower at all.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
    ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
    16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
    EVGA G2 750W
    Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
    ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
    4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
    ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
    SeaSonic X-760 PSU
    G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Onslaught2k3 View Post
      ??? G.skill doesn't use BEMP they use XMP which is the same exact thing. People are fooled by such marketing gimmicks like "Black Edition" this, and "Overdrive" that. Intel/ATI and AMD/Nvidia builds are just fine. Intel architectures have more headroom for better latencies than AMD platforms do. And the latencies should be as low as possible, yes, but at the highest possible clock speeds. You get far better reads/writes on RAM when they're clocked at higher speeds. Some companies who manufacture RAM modules opt in to attract AMD customers and G.skill does it by using "flare" series RAM modules. I keep having to state this but no matter what RAM sticks you put in to your computer as long as you know the TIMINGS for those particular modules (even if they're not on the QVL list for your motherboard) there's a great chance the modules will still work. AMD processors can't support CL6 (some VERY VERY LUCKY FOLKS have been able to) but CL7 isn't much slower at all.
      Please dont be offended but from what I have read they are not the same exact thing.

BEMP works through AMD's Overdrive software. Supported AM3 motherboards can detect compatible memory and connect to the internet to download an XML profile with the appropriate memory timings - this means profiles can be rapidly updated, revised and included.

AMD Overdrive 3.0 software can tune the memory timings on the fly, as well as automatically boost the CPU northbridge frequency and voltage.
      source
      To many there is quite a large difference between manually having to go set everything as opposed to using technology that makes for a much more efficient and cost effective user friendly experience. I personally dont have a issue with manual settings but technology has make things much easier. Gone are the days of jumpers for setting your CPU speeds. ( I was there in those days) The same same thing you are saying was said with OCing software and we see where that has went. Today much has changed and we shouldn't be so harsh when new and different things come out. The average person wants to get as much from his/her PC as they can for their $ spent and I see where BEMP can help someone, that is not above average in experience, get the most or close to it.
      Current GSKILL in use [ SNIPER ] F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Comment

Originally posted by Altered View Post
        Please dont be offended but from what I have read they are not the same exact thing.
        Without evidence proving anyone here wrong, it's just a troll. A "cost-effective" "user-friendly" experience is something that works as intended, period. If you have to manually spend less than 20 minutes forum searching to find your answers, then so be it. Once upon a time 5 years ago when I knew diddly squat about RAM timings/speeds, all I did was search through a forum thread and found all the information I needed. Customers outright refuse to do anything themselves and as an end result end up paying MORE than needed to have others do the work for them. Sure, it's nice to have something automatically work especially with cutting-edge technology but at what price premium? RAM is already at extremely affordable prices with absurdly high capacities so why bother giving them a reason to increase prices? There are two main platforms with a platter full of subplatforms in which have to be catered to? I doubt every company would do that. There is a sticky on the DDR3 forums showing the memory bandwith of g.skill modules at different speed tiers when paired up with a Phenom 2 1090T. If you find a better-performing benchmark showing that BEMP modules from OTHER companies on the same platform and components, bring it to g.skill's attention. They have your business, and they'll make sure to keep it that way.

Editing timings, voltages, and speeds outside of BIOS alike is risky with windows services and threads running in the background anyways. The options are available through BIOS and don't take 10 minutes to load like some systems take. The time spent waiting for the profiles to load and be configured on your system you could've edited the timings through BIOS, booted, and got to doing what you have to do on that computer already. There is a wealth of information waiting to be accessed, including the information disclosed in this thread alone. I personally don't like tuning software while in windows and would avoid it at all costs (GPU tuning can't be done through BIOS, unfortunately).
        Last edited by Onslaught2k3; 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM.
        AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.99 Ghz 1.38V
        ASRock x370 Taichi v2.0 BIOS
        16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 @14-14-14-34-75 TRC-312 TRFC - 1T
        EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
        EVGA G2 750W
        Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, 2x Intel 530 120GB, 1x Seagate 1TB

Intel s1155 2600K proc
        ASUS Maximus 4 extreme motherboard
        4x2GB GSkillF3-17000CL9D-4GBXL @ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T
        ASUS Geforce GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1800/4008/1.1V
        SeaSonic X-760 PSU
        G.Skill phoenix 120GB SSD

Comment

"BEMP" memory is just lower performance memory. It is a way to filter out memory that some AMD users can not use/support. So for example, we can put DDR3-1333 CL7, CL8 modules as "BEMP" supported, but not DDR3-1600 CL6, CL7. This way people just purchase "BEMP" memory (compatible), instead of purchasing memory better than their system can support. Either way it's basically the same, just more "comfortable" for some users.

Companies have to stay afloat some how... lifetime warranty, low pricing, recession, the market is tough, so these ideas can help attract stray customers that aren't quite sure what to purchase. Once you see black edition memory, and you have a black edition CPU, you want to just get that instead. =)

Great idea if you ask me though, but G.Skill is built on advanced users, so the route we take is slightly different.

Oh, and lastly, you will find that XMP is BEMP, as long as your CPU can support the specifications. We have been on this "new technology" for a long time in the Intel world, it is just new for AMD users. Some companies even state "XMP READY!" like it's something special.. well, no it's not, it's standard on G.Skill modules.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Re: Confused?

To Administrator,

With all the conversation over BEMP memory, my original question has been overlooked.

I am building a system consisting of an MSI 790FX-GD70 and a 965 Black Edition CPU. I haven't decided on the DDR3 yet, other than 4G (2+2). From what I have read, it is best to stay at 1333 with a low CAS latency. I do not plan on overclocking. Aside from all the positive reviews on Newegg for F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, I think that F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH would be better for only a few dollars more. It runs at 1333 and at CL7. Am I missing something, or wouldn't this be the best choice?

Comment

Loetek,

That is why you should create your own thread, rather than jumping into someone else's.

For low voltage and stability, then yes, DDR3-1333 CL7 would be best.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X