Need Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Please

So im ready to build my new PC and I have a question for you guys. I have yet to try out any of the G.Skill ram and wanted to use it on this build, but after doing some research I do not know what ram to buy. I have already decided on the Dual Channel G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8gb (2 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3, but cannot choose between the 1333 or the 1600.
    My Build will consist of:

-ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    -AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
    -(Not that it matters)Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This PC is going to be mainly used for gaming, but as of right now im getting 2 sticks and would like to have the option of purchasing the other 2 in the future. I Would really like to go with the 1600 but I do not want to deal with the hastle of tweaking everything to make the 1600 run correctly. I am definately not good at OC'ing but the mobo I am purchasing allows me to make stable OC'ing very easily. From what I have read and according to the asus ram 6 core QVL the 1600 are not a good idea for me. Would it be best for me to go with the 1333 or can I go with the 1600 like I originally wanted to? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff.

With those sets of sticks your looking at about a $100 difference, so if price isn't coming into play, I'd go with the 1600, it would offer faster speed and be a hedge towards the future via upgrades and BIOS updates. Additionally can be run if needed at a lower CAS than the 1333 @ 1333 i.e. set the 1600's at 1333 and tighten the timings to 8-8-8-22 or so providing faster speed at 1333 than the native 1333 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Your CPU and motherboard will have no problems with DDR3-1600, so feel free to use it. We can easily help you if you have problems or questions anyway, so buy with confidence! =)

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

So I ended up going with the 2 sticks of 1600 like I stated, but I did end up going with a different motherboard(Asus Crosshair IV). My computer is running it at 1333 and have yet figured out how to change it to 1600. If you could tell me how to get it to run at 1600 it would be greatly appreciated. I just got the PC up and running today, so I haven't really had time to look into it, so any help before I try changing this would be great.

Comment

Simply set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600 in BIOS.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Did not realize that it was that easy. I switched it over to 1600 and it seems like everything is ok. Don't know where to actually check to see if it is really running at 1600. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Download a free piece of software called CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

On the memory tab it should show as 800mhz or so.

For the correct timings, you could also download the 30 day evaluation of Everest Ultimate Edition

http://www.lavalys.com/products/everest-pc-diagnostics

Run the program, and on the left, open the motherboard tab then click SPD, and it should give you all your correct RAM timings. Thats what I did anyway.

I have the same motherboard but the 1055t processor instead, and 2x2gb g skill ripjaws 1600mhz and all running at rated speeds and voltage with no problems at all :-)

Comment

Working...
              X