Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws 24GB configuration issues

In an EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR X58 + i7-930:

To get 24GB of DDR3-1333 CL9 operating in triple-channel mode it seems there are three options: (a) six F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB; or (b) two F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL 12GB (3 x 4GB); or (c) one F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL 24GB (6 x 4GB).

For DDR3-1600 CL9, there are three options: (d) six F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4GB; or (e) two F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL 12GB (3 x 4GB); or (f) one F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL 24GB (6 x 4GB).

Kit(s) or Singles: Why would I need (c,f) when the architecture is tri-channel? How does this differ from (b,e) with one kit in the red sockets and one in the black sockets? For that matter, how do either of these differ from (a,d)?

Availability: It seems that (e) is out of stock and (f) is not available (they say "we do not know if or when we will obtain more") at the only vendor I can find in the US, newegg. When will they be available / in stock? Where else can I get them?

Anecdotal: Several reviewers claim success with (d); are they lucky, skillful, or ignorant? One claims OC to 2050mHz; genius or luck? One admits to running 12GB at 1600 but can only get 1066mHz with 24GB; is this to be expected?

Speed: What operational difference can I expect to observe with 1333 vs 1600 mHz? Intel spec for the 930 is DDR3-800/1066, EVGA has (c) and (f) and Trident F3-12800CL7T2-24GBTDD on the QVL.

I know this is mostly redundant, but I would like to see the answers and make an informed decision when I spend ~ 0.6 - 1.0 k$ on this.

Thanks.

Alright, here I go. =D

The 24GB kit is tested as 24GB, 12 GB as 12GB, and 4GB as 4GB. Sometimes individual sticks may encounter issues with others, which is why we offer tested kits. We make sure all, however many modules, are working together without a glitch.

If one is out of stock, it is only temporary. These are very popular kits, especially with prices dropping a little, they are flying off "shelves". NewEgg is the best place, they will carry everything we have. Once they get stock from us, they will activate the item within a day.
    If you add the item to your wishlist or cart, it will remind you when it is in stock.

Complete success with (d) is possible, but there is a higher rate for failure since there are 6 seperate sticks.

Overclocking is possible, especially with the DDR3-1600, it is very easy. This kit is rated for 1.50V, so with 1.65V+, you can easily reach near DDR3-2000. With the DDR3-1333 sticks though... you would surely need to loosen timings too to reach DDR3-2050, but timings would probably be too loose to be effective performance.

The memory frequency simply depends on your CPU, and the amount of voltage you supply to it. With CPU VTT at AUTO, you'll probably only be capable of DDR3-1333 24GB. You will need to raise the CPU VTT Voltage to stabilize higher memory frequencies since at this point you are maxing out the memory controller embedded in the CPU.

The "speed" difference is roughly 2000MB/s. DDR3-1333 will transfer at about 12,000MB/s whereas DDR3-1600 will transfer at about 14,000MB/s.

Intel spec is moderate, but as you can see, by attempting DDR3-1600 with 24GB is already a feat in itself. It is already considered overclocking/overvolting (not Intel supported). I would suggest an aftermarket CPU cooler ($50 or so) to keep things cool. by maxing out the memory and CPU, your best friend is a really good CPU cooler to protect these parts for working too hard in heat.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm sure you get tired of explaining kits ... thanks.

I went with (f) F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL. I am getting 24GB DDR3-1600 CL9 at 1.5V on an i7-930 clocked to 3.5GHz at auto VCore and VTT. This passed the linpack benchmark on 21GB problems 16x in 9 hours. I have had the CPU up to 4GHz at 1.225V and run mprime for 10 hours, still with 24GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V.

Either way, I cannot get much above 1600 MHz on 1.5V. Balancing cool, quiet, and fast with 24GB ram on a micro ATX board in a micro case, I am pretty much satisfied with 3.5GHz and DDR3-1600 CL9 at stock voltages.

Comment

Hi, sorry to interfere, but i'm really curious about what people do with 24 gb, is an astonishing amout of memory, that i would happily try to keep busy. Aside virtualization i can't think of other case.

Comment

Video editing, rendering, even some high megapixel pictures may take a long time to edit, so anything that is memory intensive. If you thought 24GB was enough, we even have a 48GB kit. People use this high technology for math calculations, cure cancer, finding the next digit for PI,.. This is all new to non-ECC and normal computers users, because we never need anything that crazy, but companies and super computers around the world have already been using this much. They typically use high priced ECC memory, but now non-ECC memory technology is better as well, so we can offer these high GB kits at a much lower price.

ECC = Error Correction Codes

If the system detects an error within the memory, it will attempt to fix itself. Typically servers and 24/7 computers use these types of memory.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X