Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an upgrade play nice?

System Specs

Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-v Evo (No 2T setting - only gripe)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE - revision RB-C2 *sigh* -(May eventually got to a 1090T x6)
    RAM: G.Skill F3-10666CL8-2GBHK (2x2GB)
    Down clocked 1066 Mhz; 8-8-8-20-27-1T (Thank you C2 stepping)
    GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 HD
    PSU: OCZ ModXstreme-pro 600 Watt (or was it 650?)

Primary Question:
    Newegg.com has a Very nice price on a possible upgrade I have been eyeing, specificly: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

But since it is diffrent then my original RAM, could I still downclock it to use both?

I don't mind running the ram at 1066 Mhz, if the timings make up for it. However I want to know ahead of time if I will have to pull the first 4 GB to add the 8 GB. I know 12 GB seems like a lot (My board specs to 16 max) but I would like a little extra so that I can play with VMware and RAM Drives.

I have found my current 4 GB of G.Skill to be wonderful (once I got past C2 steppping) and sufficent for my daily needs, such as gameing. But to keep enough for me, and still have some to room to play, its time for an upgrade.

Compatability advice greatly appreciated.

-Knave

May check for a BIOS upgrade, ASUS has been aware of the lack of CR setting and being locked at 1T, otherwise can loosen the DRAM timing to compensate for the 1T restriction. If no BIOS upgrade available complain to ASUS - they are the ones claiming that faster DRAM, etc will work the EVO

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Nay, 785 chipset will not take 4GB modules.

Just skip this build and start fresh with a 890 with hex core and some nice G.Skill 4GB modules. Prices are finally coming down a little. (yay!) =)

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

They claim it can...*sighs*

Hearing that it will not support 4 GB moduals is a little disturbing. The Mother Board lists 4x DIMMs to a maximum of 16 GB.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...rnR&templete=2
        The memory Spec on this board was a factor in choosing it.

However their QVL for RAM only lists 1 type of 4 GB DIMM from samsung. They retail in the range of $550-$680 for that "specificly approved" model. Varrients cost less, however are not "approved".

That is why I was hopeful that I could grab a G.Skill (2x4GB) Ripjaw kit and have it work. Especially if I downclocked them to 1066 Mhz (Thanks C2 stepping) for stability. The one listed 'approved' 4 GB module is clocked at 1066 Mhz.

If it can't hold 4 GB modules, I'll have some very colorful words for them, including a few legal terms.
        Last edited by Knave; 08-04-2010, 06:47 AM. Reason: gramatic engrish, line 1.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I've downloaded the latest bios but not yet flashed it into the mother board.

Would the 8 GB (2x4GB) kit work properly if I did? (down clocked ofcourse)

Or, failing that, would you advise a second kit of my original RAM type? G.Skill F3-10666CL8-2GBHK (2x2GB).

I'm still looking to increase the flex-space I have for working on mad (computer-)science. But trying to keep it on the better end of the cost/gain ratio.

As well, I'd prefer to avoid shipping/restocking fees from an incompatible solution.

Thank you for your patience and responses.

Comment

I will try to validate this issue.

Hopefully the new BIOS can fix the issue.

If not, I would suggest this kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=gskill%201333

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Validate the issue? So I guess in truth, you don't know either?

If its a dice roll, I may have to give it a try and hope for the best. I've techied my way out of a few tricky spots before. Though I suppose working with computers for a living does help.

I will be a little disapointed with ASUS if you have to catch a "Mythical Creature component" to get the board to live up to its promised spec. 'Cause I'm fresh out of Alicorns! Also, they don't appear to have updated their QVL for RAM since the board was released last year.

I may have to inquire directly with ASUS tech support then. However, I am doubtful I will get an answer from them. Also with larger corperations, they tend to obfuscate quite a lot more if they know there is an issue.

If you can Validate something, please let me know. If I try a shot in the dark and it works, I'll try to remember to let you know - for future refrence, etc.

Much thanks again,
                - Knave

Comment

OK, good news. Tested with the latest BIOS, 4GB modules are good for this motherboard.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you so much!

That takes a great deal of stress out of the upgrade process.

I was still internally debating which upgrade paths vs possibility of incompatibility and the joys it brings. The 4GB modules really seem to be the best cost/gain on the list.

Again, much thanks.
                    -Knave

Comment

Thanks again

I just wanted to say thank you. I am currently running 12 GB of ram at 1066 Mhz, smoothly.

Thank you for your wonderful tech support. I'll be sure to steer my friends in your (G.Skill) direction if asked in the future.
                      -Knave

Comment

No problem, glad to hear everything is working fine.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X