Problems with manually setting memory speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with manually setting memory speed

I built my computer about month ago and It's been completely stable and excellent for me in that time. Mostly due to my ignorance when I set it up I didn't go in and manually set the ram timings and make sure my memory was being clocked correctly, and it seemed like it was automatically set properly.

Recently I got interested in trying to overclock my CPU, and I read that I should make sure my memory is manually set to the correct timing/freq/voltage in the BIOS before anything else. I discovered that my DDR1600 ram had been running at 1333 MHz this whole time!

This is the memory I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

I went into my BIOS and manually set the timings from Auto to 9-9-9-24 2T, but It was still coming up as 666 MHz in cpuz, so I went back and manually set the memory frequency to 1600 and the voltage to 1.5 in the bios as well. When doing this, it booted up successfully and cpuz gave me the proper 800 MHZ speed.

Problem is, when I have the frequency and voltage set manually at those settings I get prime95 errors within a couple minutes, and lockup issues when running a graphical game benchmark. Setting the freq and voltage back to auto makes it stable again.

Here's my hardware summary:

Phenom II 720 BE
    2x2 Ripjaw G.Skill DDR1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) (installed in dual channel)
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong with the BIOS, if there's a compatibility issue I'm not aware of or if I have bad hardware or what. I noticed the sticky mentioning Phenom II memory controllers having issues with running memory at 1600 MHZ, is there a chance that I am having this issue?

Any help much appreciated.

Indeed. Raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V and that should solve the problem.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X