Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with Gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ Ram and GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ Ram and GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5!

Hi everyone !

I have just assembled a new computer about a month ago. I ordered the components and built the PC myself. The problem is, the damn things is super unstable ! Firefox crashes on a regular basis, Crysis has trouble loading levels and often does the ''Crysis has stopped working'' and i get blue screens of death (stop messages and memory dumps). The stop message i get the most is the 00X000000a1. I tested my HD, my ram (windows diagnostic found no errors with ram). I did try to but my ram in slot 2 and 4 but the computer would not even boot I also tried to increase volt on ram but to no avail...

I have a few questions:
    1) Is it 100% certain that this type of ram is compatible with that gigabyte Motherboard and AMD CPU
    2) Can you help me try to put manual settings in the bios that might help?
    3) Should I RMA right away...

Power Supple : XFX 650 watt
    GPU : XFX radeon 5850
    CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    : GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 rev 1.
    Ram : G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

Memtest86 version 3.4 results:

Chipset AMD K8
    Settings Ram : 569 MHz (DDR113) Cas : 2.5-1-3-1/DDR-1 (128 bits)
    ECC : disabled
    Bits in error mask: ffffffff
    Bits in error total : 32 min: 1
    Max contiguouse error : 2
    Error per memory slot : 0: 999999999
    1: 2733
    Test 7 errors : 5804
    Test 5 errors : crashed while trying to figure out ....
    Error confidence value : 109
    Highest error Address : 000fffdde4e - 4095.8 MB

Prime95 test results:

Self-test 10k passed
    Test 1, 4500 Lucas-lehmer iterations of m17432577 using FF length 896K.
    Fatal Error : Rounding was 0.5 , expected less then 0.4
    Hardware failure detected , consult stress.txt file
    Torture test completed 34 tests in 47 minutes - 1 error - 0 warnings
    Worker stopped

Try testing one stick at a time with the memory settings manually configured in BIOS, and see if one stick is causing the problem. Sounds like one may be defective and causing instability.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Does that mean that this type of ram works with that Motherboard for sure ?

And what manual settings should i put for testing one stick at a time ?

Comment

Yes, should have no problems at all. For manual settings, you always want to enter the memory frequency, timings, and voltage.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok... I tested both Ram individually in slot 1 with memtest86!
          To do dual channel i need to put it into 1-3 and 2-4.

They both passed without errors !

So is it instability with settings in dual channel or is it Slot failures from the motherboard ?

How to find out ?

Comment

Dual channel should be the white slots. I think they are slots 3 and 4, so put the memory in there.

Make sure all memory settings are configured and everything should be fine. If you have issues, raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V and see if that stabilizes the system.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Im still having trouble... darn... here is new info !

I have tested every slot with 1 slip of ram individually. Everything working perfect with memtest86.
              Then i put my ram into slot 1-2 into dual channel ( white slots together) and ran memtest86 for 12 hours. No problems everything works perfect! But then im simply surfing on the internet with Firefox and i get a BSOD 0x00000050.
              I then retry memtest86 and it finds errors on the first pass.

I remove both slips of ram, replace them tight so i'm sure they well placed and rerun memtest86. 12 hours later, perfect no problems! 2 days later, Critical kernal power, BSOD 0x00000050. I run memtest86 again... errors AGAIN on the first pass....

UPDATE : It's not because i replace the ram that it works temporarily!

When i let my computer on for a while (including when computer is off but power supply is on), i will eventually get errors in my ram. But if I do a HARD REBOOT, meaning shutting down power supply for 30 seconds and turn it back on, i then run memtest86 and voila! NO ERRORS ! One day later, errors in memtest86, shut down power supply and retry, no errors !

Interesting huh ?

Should i RMA the ram now ?

Comment

Tested it again this morning to make sure. Last night it passed Memtest86 no problems. I turned down the computer for the night (but power switch left on), this morning i ran a memtest86 and boom, errors, errors per slot, slot: 0 = 1
                slot 1 = 5
                Error confidence value : 45

I then shut down the computer completely and turn off power supply for 30 seconds, rerun memtest86 and voila it passes the test. So my computer will run flawless for 16 hours... then i will have to shut it down completely to reboot the whole thing...
                Like I said, could it be ram? should i RMA it ?

Comment

Yes, please send them in for new replacements.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I received yesterday a new set of ram, same brand and kind, just replaced the ones in the PC with the ones i had received, tested it under exact same conditions, and up to now no errors at all. PC was off all night, ran memtest86 this morning (did not shut down power supply to reboot everything like i had to with other set) and everything seems A-OK.

Conclusion: Defective ram ! I will RMA it in the next week, i am just gonna wait a few days more to make 100 % everything is perfect with the new ram before RMAing the old one.

Now bring on Starcraft 2!!

Comment

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X