• Show
Clear All

• Asus P7P55 Evo - F312800CL7-2GB

Hello,
    I am trying to run this -
    Ripjaw F312800CL7-2GB(2x2GB) at 2000Mhz

on the

Asus P7P55 Evo / Bios - 1408(latest)

I ran Memtest at this speed with these settings(below), and it passed 3 times without error.

Only problem, when I ran a game about 30-40 minutes in I have a blue screen. Temperatures seem find, CPU is at 58c load.
    EDIT: Tested again with Firefox running, Crysis Demo benchmark CPU and Hyperpi running, Blues screen after 1 minute.

Other things, WIndows 7 Ultimate - up to date patched. GTX 260 latest drivers. 650 PSU new good brand C'sair.

I wonder if I need to adjust some other memory settings to cure the issue. As I have only ever had blue screens when I have memory issue.

I understand that this memory is rated for 1600Mhz, but I purchased it because I read reviews it has a lot of head room at loser timings. Which is does seem to have.

I remember a long time ago, when I first used 4GB of memory I was told by the support, I had to adjust a timing in the bios to allow for it to run with certain sticks of that size, (from a different company than GSkill). That fixed the problem. I wonder if it is again something like this, and hope you can advise me.

------------------
    CPU set at 200 Bus speed x 17

Fixed Voltage - 1.38v

IMC 1.15000v

DRAM Voltage 1.650v

CPU PLL Voltage Auto (1.810v)

ICH Voltage Auto(1.05v)

Ram timings:
    9-9-9-27
    rest at Auto.

I will update post with some screen shots of the Bios.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Coldberg; 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM.

Enable the XMP Profile under AI Overclock Tuner. Then find the lowest stable value for IMC Voltage and you're ready to go.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi, the XMP sets them to 1600Mhz.
      I am trying to run them over clocked at 2000Mhz

Comment

Ah, gotcha.

IMC 1.15000v

This needs to be ~1.40V, find the lowest stable value and you'll be ready to go.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a shot. It turns red in the bios when I take ICH above 1.3v
          And apon further reading I see that Intel states 1.21volts to be the maximum safe limit for this socket.
          Some discussion here:
          http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ve-1-21-a.html

They mention that someone on the support forums says 1.3v is neccessary for 2000Mhz. I tried 1.3 and it blue screens.

I will try it at 1.4v and see if it fixes it.

Edit:
          Nope 1.4v just Blue screened too.
          I will add, all power saving CE1 states etc. are disabled.

To get it to BSOD I am running firefox 5 tabs flash etc. playing. HyperPi and Crysis CPU demo.
          9-9-9-27 rest Auto have 2T(2N) and tried 1N too.

Thanks for taking the time to help, very appreciated.
          Last edited by Coldberg; 05-24-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

May need more voltage, I remember one of our i7 860's require 1.44V. Not sure what CPU you have.

Intel states 1.21V because they only support DDR3-1333.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ah, cannot believe I left out which CPU. It's an i5 750.

I will give it a shot now.

Thanks

Edit:

No go, tried 1.44v, and done a few variables around 1.3v to 1.46v just seemed to BSOD quicker at the higher voltage.

I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward. Never the way.

Also running the CPU at 3.4Ghz and lower, still BSOD when memory set at 2000Mhz
              Last edited by Coldberg; 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Go without the oc first, as your CPU oc may be unstable. CPU VCore 1.38V is much too high for 3.4GHz.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yep I have it stable at 4Ghz with 1.38v
                  At 3.4Ghz (@1.186v)and lower I cannot get the RAM to run at 2000Mhz.

I have tried adjusting some other timngs but still no joy.

Comment

Spent a few hours testing different timings. And had some stable results.

Dropping the timings to 10-10-10-28 @1.6v ICH at 1.21v
                    (ICH @1.19v was stable too with 3.2Ghz CPU. Only raised it to 1.21v for 4Ghz CPU, didn't have time to try back at lower voltage yet.)
                    First tested at 2N, then found stable results at 1N so left it at that.

I did adjust the tRCD from 10 to 9 in Windows using the new Memset utility. Found only latency was reduced from 40.3 down to 40.0 exactly.
                    No better bandwidth or read or write/copy speeds. They are around the same as leaving timings at default due to the slacker timings.
                    Would be really nice to be able to get what I was expecting from them (9-9-9-27)
                    Maybe some tweaking of the more advanced timings.

By the looks of it, there is no real need to start using higher voltages on the RAM. ie: 1.6+v didn't help at all in previous tests.

Here is a screen showing the sub-timings when set to 10-10-10-28 1N

Any advice on what might help, or if anything looks slightly out of skew in there, is most welcome.

Maybe rolling back a bios might help. Might do that just to see if it helps. Only release notes for 1408 were for more stability with different makes of RAM. Should of tested before I jumped straight in and flashed it.

Thanks again for the help.
                    Last edited by Coldberg; 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

So after spending the day adjusting timings and having no luck at 9-9-9-24 at all. And the not much improvement on bandwidth etc. running at 10-10-10-28 @ 2000Mhz.

I tried for a bit higher, and had nice results. Not fully tested stable, but did pass Memtest at these settings, and also passed the Firefox "lots of tabs" - flash & streaming videos. HiperPi 16MB & Crysis CPU demo all running at the same time.

Everest benchmark showed much lower latency 38.8 & higher bandwidth - around 18k+ / Read and Write both up a good few hundred.
                      Will post up some bandwidth tests results soon as I have some more time on my hands.

All low voltages. 1.6v mem 1.21v *IMC* 1.3v CPU core.

19x211

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Last edited by Coldberg; 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

ICH? You mean IMC? It may need more than 1.30V to operate DDR3-2000.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yep, IMC sorry.

It was looking good until it BSOD in a game.

Will try it at 1.3 and see if it is stable.

Comment

Well besides being told twice that I need to run IMC voltage about 1.3v which didn't help, this
                            thread was a waste of time. I was hoping for some advice on how to best set your memory.
                            I now understand that you have your hands full on these forums. And do not have any GSkill folks avilable to take the time to advise on issues that do not relate to anything other than just faulty memory.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Coldberg View Post

I will try it at 1.4v and see if it fixes it.

Edit:
                              Nope 1.4v just Blue screened too.
                              I will add, all power saving CE1 states etc. are disabled.

To get it to BSOD I am running firefox 5 tabs flash etc. playing. HyperPi and Crysis CPU demo.
                              9-9-9-27 rest Auto have 2T(2N) and tried 1N too.

Thanks for taking the time to help, very appreciated.
                              As you can see, I did try 1.4v IMC and posted that it did not help.
                              What did help was me adjusting other sub timings, but again only made the error take longer to occur.
                              I guess this CPU cannot run this memory at 2000Mhz.

Comment

Working...
                              X