• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot loop at Windows Screen with more than one stick

Model of the motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
    Model of the memory: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz

So I bought all the parts in December and put the computer together. It worked great with no instability and no problems. About 30 days in to the life of it, it went on a reboot cycle that went away on its own after 10-20 reboots. I figured nothing of it because it didn't act up again until this week. For the past 7 days it would randomly shut off during anything at odd times. I'd be into a video game for 30m or 2h and it'll reboot itself. It would come back up and it would be fine or it would reboot at the windows start screen once or twice but would be fine for a few hours.

Now however, it won't boot up. I've burned a Memtest and ran a memtest on each stick by itself for 10m ( so to test 8 ) and they all come back fine by themselves. In fact by themselves the system runs fine for hours. If I dare put in more than one stick, in any configuration or slot it won't boot. It won't even run the memtest. It gets to 99 or maybe even 100% and just reboots. Or if I try to boot windows, as soon as i see the "starting windows" black screen it'll reboot. I've done memtest on each single ram stick in all 4 slots and they run fine. I've read that I could downcycle my RAM sticks through BIOS to fix this problem and have tried multiple configurations.

1066 7-7-7 etc etc

Help?

Any power surges/spikes prior to the problems? Unusual shutdowns, i.e. computer turned off without going through shutdown procedure. Have you tried running the latest version of AVG Free and/or Malware Bytes?

Could be a number of things, virus/trojan, corrupt BIOS (i.e. something got reset), etc.

May want to set BIOS to defaults, then manually set DRAM to stock timings, Command Rate to 2T or 2N and DRAM voltage to stock....also check that EIST and C1E are disabled.

If no help from above, if you could post your BIOS settings it might help us figure something out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So not even two modules will work properly? You should have no problems with two modules with the correct settings.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry guys. I'm in the midst of pre-finals week at Pharmacy school so I appreciate your help and apologize for the lateness of my response. No power spikes, no power surges. Nothing of the nature of random violence or anything. I can videotape me putting in two modules and booting up and you can see for yourself it won't work if you don't believe me xD

I set the BIOS back to default when I downgraded to one module. I will attempt to do the timings of 9-9-9-24 1.5v as suggested on the sticks themselves and see what i get, if no additional response it means it did not work still.

I don't know what EIST and C1E are, nor how to access those modifications on my BIOS. I am currently using BIOS version 2005, the latest off of the ASUS support site.

Comment

I am in shock... for 4+ hours it reboot cycled no matter what I did beyond one module... today I put in two modules and it booted up normal ( I manually set the timings as listed above before attempting a boot ). I shut it down, put in the third module and only got one reboot at the starting windows screen, and here I am now posting this. Should it happen again, I'll be back

Comment

RIGHT as I hit the post button to post the message above, the system reboot... So in the time I booted up, the website opened to this, typed this... I got system instability. When I had one module in, the system did not restart from Saturday until today when I have all three in.

Edit: Second restart occurred 7:02PM ---- downgraded to two modules
            Edit2: Another restart occurred at 7:06PM ---- downgraded to one module due to wanting to do something productive on my PC
            Edit3: I never mentioned before, on the occasions of reboot cycling, it would always mention that windows encountered an error and I got the BCCode 124.
            Last edited by Khazadum; 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Are you doing all this at DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600?

Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 and that should be stable for two modules.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X