• Show
Clear All

• Bad idea to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb?

G'day,

I currently have:

i5 750 @ stock speed
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3
    ATI 4870 512mb
    4GB DDR3 (2x2gb sticks) 1600MHz Ripjaws (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
    600W Coolermaster SilentProM

I was thinking of buying another set of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL to upgrade it to 8gb total with 4x2gb sticks.

At the moment its just running at 1333MHz rather than 1600MHz, as I dont know much about overclocking and running with XMP enabled made the computer run a lot hotter and according to HWMonitor idle CPU power usage jumped a lot.

But I've read a couple of threads of people having problems running 8gb with all slots filled with the P55A-UD3, but they were with 10666CL7 where mine is 12800CL9. Is it not recommended to run with all 4 slots filled on my mobo, or are those isolated cases?

Cheers!
    Tudz

You should not have a problem, but as you have experienced, DDR3-1600, and then an additional 4GB can raise CPU temps even further as the memory controller is more loaded and stressed.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Just an update, I purchased and installed another 2x2gb of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and am running 8gb now. It appears to be running fine, I haven't done any memtesting yet, but I run fluid simulations that use the full 8gb and they've been running perfectly, no stability issues yet. I noticed the new ram had a blue PCB but my old set had a green PCB, are they any different? They have the same model listing.

I was worried because people on forums have mentioned problems running with all 4 slots full on my mobo or similar (P55A and its variants), but its all been fine.

What do you recommend is best for BIOS settings? Just enable XMP and see how it goes? Its just running at 1333MHz and 9-9-9-24 at the moment.

Comment

Fantastic. The different PCB colors are just different vresions we've had, but they are still the same.

For BIOS settings, you can manually enter settings, or use the XMP profile. You are operating them at DDR3-1333, so the memory controller is able to support 8GB. But once you set the frequency to DDR3-1600, you may need to increase the QPI/VTT Voltage to stabilize 4 modules.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X