F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH settings with MSI P55-GD80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH settings with MSI P55-GD80

As the title says, I have two of the F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH kits (8GB total) for my MSI P55-GD80 system. The motherboard's BIOS is 1.7 (current as of today). I am not an overclocker and generally just prefer a fast, stable system without a bunch of tweaking. I must also profess my ignorance to some of the latest technologies as this computer I built was the first one I've built since the early Pentium 4 days (RAMBUS!!!), so things such as X.M.P. have eluded me over the years. Anyway, I'm just looking for the optimal settings for my memory and this motherboard because I'm having some stability issues with my new system. I fear that one of my DIMMs are bad (it has failed MemTest86 as well as the Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostics before, but ever since that night I have not been able to recreate the memory errors). First I figure I should be sure I've got everything in the BIOS correct. Here are the basic settings I'm dealing with (I'm not manually adjusting timings and such):

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Enabled
    Extreme Memory Profile Mode: Auto
    Memory Ration: Auto (1333MHz)
    QPI Ratio: Auto (4800MHz)

As mentioned before, I wasn't even sure what X.M.P. was when I started. When I left it "Disabled" (the default) my timings were 9-9-9-24, which concerned me since I paid for memory labeled as 7-7-7-21. Later I turned X.M.P. on and set it to "Auto" and of course the timings now read 7-7-7-21. My assumption is that the above settings are correct for someone who wants a nice and stable, not-overclocked system (I'm not insinuating that you can't have a stable OC'd system, BTW), but I wanted some confirmation from this forum first.

As for my fear that I have a bad DIMM. This is because I've had several games crash to desktop, random apps also crash (Firefox, Ventrilo for two examples of apps that just crash and disappear with no error message), and I've had a couple of MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screens of death.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on my system. CPU is a Core i7-860. Let me know if I've left out any other pertinent details and thanks in advance.

im not 100% sure but xmp should only be enabled for memory over the 1333MHz freq such as 1600mhz and onwards. im sure i read i5 boards support native 1333mhz memory modules. make sure you set your timings and memory voltages correctly.

by enabling xmp profile you have basically given your cpu a minor OC and this will also alter your voltages (i think thats the way xmp works)
    Last edited by batfinks; 04-05-2010, 05:25 AM.

Comment

You may need to raise the internal memory controller voltage slightly to stabilize 4 modules. You can try testing each module individually to determine whether one module is defective.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Any more details on this? How much is "slightly?"

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? IMC Voltage should be 1.20V-1.30V.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard.

Comment

Post up pictures of the BIOS and I can see if anything is set incorrectly.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

This isn't a screen shot, but here's what my memory settings are set at. Let me know if you need something different or if you think I should change anything.

Setting Name -> Value
                -------------------------------
                DRAM Timing Mode -> Auto (7-7-7-21)
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Enabled
                Extreme Memory Profile Mode -> Auto
                Memory Ratio -> Auto (1333MHz)
                QPI Ratio -> Auto (4800MHz)

ClockGen Tuner -> 800mV (for both CPU and PCI-E Amplitude Control)
                Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) -> 100 (default)
                Auto Disable PCI Frequency -> Enabled

VDroop Control -> High VDroop
                Last edited by awc; 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM. Reason: formatting (tabs) didn't work as expected

Comment

That's fine, but the thing I'm still looking for is whether you increased memory controller voltage for 4 modules.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X