F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD + Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 ... Need Bios Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD + Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 ... Need Bios Settings

i have Phenom II 965BE C3 CPU which is working 7/24 @ 4.00GHz and auto cpu voltage on my Foxconn A79A-S mobo and now i have just bought GA-790FXTA-UD5 and G.Skill F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD ram. in mobo's memory qvl it says that these rams can work @ 1866MHz but i can't make it run @ 1866MHz. it is only work @ 1600MHz max. still my cpu can work 4.00GHz @ auto voltage. can somebody say that how can i run these rams @ 1866MHz, i need bios settings...

uh.....we don't think it's common to run DDR3 1866 even 2000 on AM3 platform
    generally, it runs at most at DDR3 1600 on AMD 790 platform
    and our F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD is only for INTEL P55 platform, not AMD
    thanks

G.S

Comment

but in gigabyte site it says 790fxta-ud5 can run up to 1866MHz and also it's written on the box of mobo. Even in the official memory qvl list it says that these 2000MHz rams can work 1866MHz on 790fxta-ud5. If this is not possible why they are writting wrong informations on their sites and boxes

Comment

ummm....we're also curious about how they test them at DDR3 1866 since it's impossible for us
        as we know, they sometimes only test to see if it boots normally

G.S

Comment

i can't boot the machine either so you say it works only at 1600MHz, ok then which timings can i use these rams at 1600MHz and default memory voltage level. Can i use at CL7?

Comment

we'd recommend you to run DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24@1.65v
            you may also need to increase the NB and HT voltage to improve the stability while running DDR3 1600
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Finnicky timings and voltage with this combo

I have the same motherboard and RAM combo (Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 and G.Skill F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD). I'm running two of the 4gb kits, for a total of 8gb on the Gigabyte motherboard.

I got this with the understanding from Gigabytes "Safe Memory List" that these would be able to run at 1866mhz "Natively" as they described on their website:
              http://www.gigabyteusa.com/Products/...GA-790FXTA-UD5
              (Also see the qualified supported memory list there).

This is highly deceiving, as the motherboard actually only natively supports DDR3 1333mhz, as is standard with AM3 (my understanding). To get anything higher than that, you're going to need to go into the BIOS and do some custom multiplier, timings and voltage.

If you check the supported memory list, you'll notice the vague "Only support DIMM3 and DIMM4" disclaimer at the top of the section that lists these modules. Well, what that means in English is that you can only have two modules, and ONLY in slots 3 and 4 (trying 4 modules will NOT work) for there to be a successful overclock. However, I tried that and wasn't able to even get the system to boot. It would totally freak out, restore the BIOS from the backup BIOS, then have to scan my boot disks for errors then I'd be back to square one.

I finally gave up on attempting to get the advertised 1866mhz speed, and found that precise timings measurements are critical for overclocking this board/ram combo. I've been running 1600mhz fairly stably for almost a month now. I've been running timings very similar to those posted prior (see quote below) with moderate success, getting a BSOD only once a week. I switched to the posted timings (9-9-9-24@1.65v) and havent had any issues yet. Here's hoping this will be it!

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
              we'd recommend you to run DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24@1.65v
              you may also need to increase the NB and HT voltage to improve the stability while running DDR3 1600
              thanks

G.S

Comment

Exactly ioTus, I have been stressing this in hopes that they will make it more clear in the future. The reason why they don't really care is because they simply blame memory companies. Most people don't know any better, so the confusion continues.

Luckily AMD is revising their CPUs/memory controllers to reduce these types of problems, since this is the REAL problem. The motherboards can operate those frequencies, but the AMD memory controllers were unable to.

Glad to hear you were able to get 8GB stable at DDR3-1600. That's a decent CPU you have there.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Still a no-go w/ 8gb

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Exactly ioTus, I have been stressing this in hopes that they will make it more clear in the future. The reason why they don't really care is because they simply blame memory companies. Most people don't know any better, so the confusion continues.

Luckily AMD is revising their CPUs/memory controllers to reduce these types of problems, since this is the REAL problem. The motherboards can operate those frequencies, but the AMD memory controllers were unable to.

Glad to hear you were able to get 8GB stable at DDR3-1600. That's a decent CPU you have there.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  So I've been running the posted timings for about three weeks now and am still getting nasty blue screens and freezes as well as digital artifacting during video playback. I've dropped the speed back down to 1333mhz, and I'm still getting blue screens and freezes every day or so.

I'd like to determine if this is specifically my memory, or if it's a video card issue (as I was having massive video card issues as well - had to warranty the card and it may still be defective). I ran a free downloaded memory test program, and it was continuously coming up with error after error, and ran Windows Memory Test for a good 4 hours and it said my memory was fine - so I'm a bit confused.

Any suggestions for how to test the memory for certain to see if it needs to be warrantied?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sounds like video card. Try testing each module with the rated specifications with memtest86+ v4.0 and that should give you a better idea.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Bad stick!

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      Sounds like video card. Try testing each module with the rated specifications with memtest86+ v4.0 and that should give you a better idea.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      So I got MemTest86+ v4.1 and checked each stick individually in the same slot (slot1) and indeed found that one dimm was throwing errors consistently during the random tests.

I pulled both the bad stick and its matched pair out and the computer is rock solid now. That was definitely what was causing the issues.

Time to warranty?

Comment

Indeed so.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X