No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2x2gb) + GA-MA790XT-UD4P + unlocked AMD Phenom II x4 720

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2x2gb) + GA-MA790XT-UD4P + unlocked AMD Phenom II x4 720

Hello,

New member, so thank you for the site and your assistance in advance.

I am doing a rebuild of my old machine. This is a Win 7 -64 bit set up. All new motherboard, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P, memory Gskill ripsaw F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 4GBRL (2x2gb), and Henka AMD Phenom II x3 720 unlocked to a x4.

I am getting test 5 memtest errors on the memory, but I am presuming that it is simply because I do not know what I am doing in the bios, and thus, not getting a true reading.

I first unlocked the 4th core by setting cpu voltage to 1.40v and using ACC. I kept the speed at the stock 2800 for testing purposes. I set the memory to 9-9-9-24-2t but let the system set the speed, of which it set the memory to 1333. When i first came out of bios, it would not run until I upped ram voltage to 1.65 from the 1.60 automatically set by the board. I ran primes95 for an hour against all 4 cores and the memory and it passed. I then ran memtes86 v4.0 on both sticks memory at the same time and it passed fine running at 1333.

However, when I set the memory to run at 1600, I get tons of memtest errors, testing each stick of ram individually.

It has been 6 years since my original and only build and I am sick as heck right now, so I know I am not doing things correctly in my bios to get the potential out of this ram. In addition, when I first ran the optimization test for my components after initial install my 4850 1gb video and my ram performance were coming in at the 7.2 range each. Now, after the many crashes after microsoft updates along with microsoft taking me back to a stable system, my ram performance is down to 6.0 and my video is down to 5.9 so I am going backwards.

Any thoughts and suggestions at bios settings or testing would be appreciated. I am using the new version 8 bios on the board and have the latest video drivers updates. I am trying to get everything tested out and RMA if need be in the event I have to go into the hospital in the next few days.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by bugler; 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM. Reason: left out motherboard manufacturer name

Since it's a new build, you'll want to let the thermal compound on your CPU cure for a week or so, i.e. no heavy OCing, so what you may want to do initially is downclock the speed to 1333 and maybe tighten the timings to 8-8-8-24, same voltage, same 2T command rate...will want the tRFC at 110 or 127, depending on available options. Then when the compound has cured you can start OCing, which will be required of your 720 to get to 1600. If all runs well with CL8 at 1333, you might even try a loose CL7.

When you start OCing, raise the RAM speed gradually along w/ the OC, start by going to the base timings 9-9-9-24 (same command rate, voltage, tRFC) and then start taking it up.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you Tradesman,

I will check that out and see what is available on the tRFC.

Comment

Working...
      X