My cold boot story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cold boot story

If you are having cold boot problems with gskill memory 75-95% sure its bad memory.
    I had cold boot problems with my new build right after Win7 64bit install. I would run memory tests and got different results every time.
    I thought it was just bios settings but after weeks of blue screen cold boot pain in WIN7 64bit, I finally gave up.
    For the first time in my computer building life i had to take a computer to a local shop. They tested the memory on a shop computer first.
    A set of 4gb was bad. I purchased 2 4gb sets in 2 separate orders from newegg.
    I have been running on the the second set fine for over a week at 1600 no problems.
    Please don't put your self thru the pain I did.
    If you memory test of any kind and get errors, RMA THE MEMORY.
    The shop told me the first thing they do is test memory then power supply with cold boot problems.
    We will see how the memory from my RMA performs?

My system:
    GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 F2
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 125W (HDZ965FBGMBOX)
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2 kits (8GB)
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V
    ASUS EAH4350 Radeon HD 4350 PCI x16
    (2) WD800AAJS 80GB 3.0GB RAID 0 on MARVELL SATA 6GB (Win7 DRIVE)
    (2) WD10000LSRTL 1TB STORAGE DRIVES
    (1) WD400JD 40gb 1.5GB (XP DRIVE)
    Sony Optiarc Black 24X SATA DVD Burner
    GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJB 3DMARS CASE

DUAL BOOT
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM) ON RAID 0
    WINDOWS XP 32-bit on WD 40GB

I'm wondering if G.skill is having some problems with their quality control these days. Lots of customers having lots of problems, RMA'ing lots of memory. I hope it gets corrected before their reputation is damaged too badly.

Comment

The crazy thing is booting with XP no problems.
      WIN7 would always blue screen on cold boot but after 2 or three reboots it would be fine and would run at any overclocks or timing setting I set.
      At first I posted problems and a Gskill person replied saying it sounded like WIN7 driver cuz XP booted fine.
      So I went the rout of trying to update and check drivers and that just made things worse. Gskill customer service is great on this site and they do respond fast to try to help.
      The guys at this local shop did not recommend Gskill for high end system builds.
      I think its just a fact that products are made with less quality and more numbers because of the global economy and consumers will be the ones that feel the pain of it.
      In ten years I have never had bad memory in repairs or new builds, but in the last year I had some bad OCZ I put in an old P4 go bad and now this.
      Cost cutting hits the consumer, that's the bottom line.
      It costs me shipping to replace but at least I can send it in, soon nobody will guarantee anything without a upfront fee like insurance.
      I just wanted to try to save some people here the problems I had, NOT BASH GSKILL.
      I'm glad they have a lifetime warranty.

Comment

These issues may seem A LOT, but actually it isn't. Reason being, only people that have issues come to the forum. That's why if you look at the NewEgg Reviews, they aren't horrendous because success rates are much greater. G.Skill will always provide the top quality modules, recession or not. Our quality control only improves, in fact, our defect rate is less than 2%.

For these types of issues, although they only occur for a tiny micro-fraction of our overall sales, we still pay very close attention to them and try to come up with a solution for them because we understand that if it happens to several people, it can also happen to many more.

We sincerely appreciate the support, and that is the reason why we continue to strive and improve for our loyal customers. People can say or read whatever about us online, but we will do our best to make every single customer happy.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I do believe G.Skill has one of the best customer support out there, here in these forums and on Newegg. I always see G.Skill reply to a review to help out. This is why I choose them.

Comment

I am very Impressed with the service on this site and Just posted to try to help others with the same problems, Thanks for your quick response on both of my posts!!!

Comment

Working...
            X