G.SKILL Turbulence/RAM Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Turbulence/RAM Fan

Greetings, unfortunately I don't know where to ask this but I believe this is probably the most suitable place.

I have a G.SKILL FTB-3500C6-S (Turbulence) RAM fan. I just want to know several things.

1// Which header should I plug the fan into? Obviously not the CPU header as that's for the CPU fan but I have a spare NB_FAN, SYS_FAN or the PWR_FAN (isn't this for the PSU).
    2// It looks like my package was opened before I did and loosely bundled with tape. Anything I should look out for? I hear there are some with really loud fans, which although rare is quite annoying.
    3// Although I believe the product is aimed at DDR3, isn't it possible it can work for DDR2 and that you only have to space the product carefully?

Any help or experiences is greatly appreciated, thanks
    Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

You can use nb_fan or sys_fan (pwr_fan is not powered - it's just for fan speed monitoring). You may quiet down the fan in the bios if the board supports fan control.

It's a fan - if it fits, you can use it on DDR2...

Comment

Well I have plugged it into the NB_FAN header as there currently is no NB_FAN but the unit runs at full speed and is very noisy. It's a shame, it does rattle slightly but perhaps it's because someone else returned it. In either case, I'll probably have to keep it as my retailer charges money unless the product is DOA.

I run a 790FX board from Gigabyte and have tried both AMD Overdrive as well as Speedfan but can't seem to adjust NB_FAN. Any ideas?

Also the can just to confirm was designed for DDR3 X58 boards but can kind of fit on DDR2 (just not perfectly). I'm wondering whether to bin the product cause quite simply, it's just too loud.
      Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

If you bought it as new and it was opened/used, you have grounds for an exchange without a restock fee (you can file a dispute with the credit card company if the retailer won't bulge). Same if it's defective.

That board supports system fan control. Try the sys_fan header...
        Last edited by Moba; 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Moba View Post
          I you bought it as new and it was opened/used, you have grounds for an exchange without a restock fee (you can file a dispute with the credit card company if the retailer won't bulge). Same if it's defective.

That board supports system fan control. Try the sys_fan header...
          I have 2 system fan headers, one of which is being used. the 2nd system fan header may not be able to be controller which is what I fear. Is it common for only one SYS fan to be controller while the other isn't?

Comment

They should both be controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Moba View Post
              They should both be controlled.
              okay thanks, I'll give it a shot now

Comment

The fan I have is making an extremely buzzing and wizzing noise in comparison to others who have theirs fairly quiet. Every so often it will rattle so I will take your advise and return it.

Comment

on a 790 plug it into the aux or sys fan header, it is settable in the bios, the nb fan is locked at 100 with rpm sense only.
                  http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1066980.png

Comment

Originally posted by jstanthr View Post
                    on a 790 plug it into the aux or sys fan header, it is settable in the bios, the nb fan is locked at 100 with rpm sense only.
                    Not sure if all 790FX boards have that feature. Despite mine being a high end gigabyte, can't find the options in the BIOS to adjust the second SYS fan speed./

Comment

mine was listed under the smart fan heading, if the cs_fan header isn't too far away you could use it too, or to make it all even simpler if you have more than 3+ fans (excluding cpu) you can get one of the small 3.5 bay 4fan controllers, they are really handy in my opinion. you can turn em down when your surfing or doing low intensive tasks, and crank em when your gaming.

Just my opinion,
                      JsT
                      http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1066980.png

Comment

Originally posted by jstanthr View Post
                        mine was listed under the smart fan heading, if the cs_fan header isn't too far away you could use it too, or to make it all even simpler if you have more than 3+ fans (excluding cpu) you can get one of the small 3.5 bay 4fan controllers, they are really handy in my opinion. you can turn em down when your surfing or doing low intensive tasks, and crank em when your gaming.

Just my opinion,
                        JsT
                        Great idea, I think I have a small fan controller lying around I could use. The store tested my fan and in their boards it was silent, so *shrugs*. I guess I'll be playing around for another week

Comment

Working...
                        X