• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Screens/ Memtest86+ Test Errors

Here is my build:

Motherboard: Asus P5e3 Pro, with BIOS updated to 505
    Memory: G. Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Processor: Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4Ghz

When I first put the parts together, I ran Memtest86+ (without setting any of the settings in BIOS). It came back with 200+ errors on Test #7. From what I gathered, this is sometimes cause by incorrect settings, so I went to the Newegg and used what was suggested by G. Skill's team of the following:

tCL 9
    tRCD 9
    tRP 9
    tRAS 24
    Memory Voltage 1.50V

I then reran Memtest and it dropped down to 5 errors (only on Test #7). Reading a few other reviews, it was suggested to set the Command Rate to 2. I changed that and reran Memtest. This time it came up with 10 errors, again on Test #7.

Also tried setting the Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP, but halfway through Test #7 I was sitting at over 70 errors, so I restarted and set it back to the previous settings (with Command Rate at 2).

I still hadn't installed an OS at that time, so I went ahead and started to install Windows 7. Everything ran fine, up until the point at the very end where it was setting up some of the account related settings. I popped out the disk and let it continue to boot, and it went into Windows. I then started to install updates, and when it was configuring the updates before it restarted, another blue screen.

So, any ideas of how to get this memory to play nice with my motherboard or is it a case of the dreaded DOA?

(Also, I would have purchased memory off of the QVL, but at the time of purchase ASUS'es website was down, and the PDF's on the foreign version of the website seemed to be messed up in some odd fashion.)

If you've got your Q6600 at 2.4, then your only running the FSB at 1066, try upping it to 1333 (will require a vCore voltage increase)...may also have to increase the NB voltage .1 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I don't know too much about BIOS settings (never was one to OC), so this may or may not be what you're talking about.

I went to the advanced CPU settings, it appears as though the frequency is set to 2.41GHz, FSB Speed is at 1608MHz, Cache L1 is at 128 KB, Cache L2 at 8192 KB, CPUID is at 6 FB, Ratio Status is unlocked with Max at 9.0, Min 6.0 with the Ratio Actual Status at 6.

I can go over the Ai Tweaker settings if needed. As far as those settings go as far as the CPU is concerned, it looks like most of them are set to auto.

Let me know if that helps you figure out what to put the settings at.

Comment

If the FSB is at 1600, you should be able to operate the memory at DDR3-1600. Try testing one stick at a time to insure that neither stick is defective.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I had a crazy weekend.

I tested both sticks and both sticks are error free when only one is inserted. When two are put in (in either the red or black slots), it errors out again.

Comment

Sounds like a bad motherboard. Do you happen to have other memory to try?

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

That I do not. The only other memory I have is a single stick of DDR2 (which I'm not even sure works). :-\

Comment

My best suggestion would be to replace the motherboard. That should solve the problem as it does not seem memory related at all.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well I got a wild hair up my *** and decided to try it single channel. Figured that it couldn't hurt, right? Well it would seem that the memory is rock solid when put in single channel mode on this board. So, not a problem with the memory, but rather the flaw of a shitty motherboard. Somewhat disappointed that it's not going to run dual channel, but I've heard it makes little to no difference, so I guess I'll live.

Comment

Little difference if you do not play games or such. Big difference if you do, but I would suggest getting it replaced either way since once the warranty runs out, you're out of luck and stuck with bad hardware that you paid hard earned money for.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                    X