Compatible memory for MSI P43-C51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatible memory for MSI P43-C51

i'm in a position where i need to buy a new motherboard while keeping a decent processor around, making the move to DDR3 in the process. the goal is to keep my intel e6750 around for a few more months and then buy a better CPU, probably one of the >3.0ghz core2-duos.

so for now, i've got my sights set on the msi p43-c51. it's compatible with my current processor, as well as the wolfdale 84/85/8600, and several core2-quads @ >2.5ghz. so that's good for the future.

where i get confused is the fact that this board uses ddr3. only problem with this is gskill's memory configurator, which shows no results for this motherboard, so i need advice and, i'll admit, some remedial memory tutoring.

for starters, all socket 775s have a FSB limit of 1333 mhz, so is there any use buying 1600mhz (pc3-12800) memory at all? on top of that, "Please note that (according to Intel Specifications) the Intel P43 Chipset's memory controller natively only supports DDR3-800 & DDR3-1066 memory. " - as quoted by some guy on some other forum. this is where i get completely lost. the motherboard's stat page says it's compatible with 1333 and 1600 memory, but what's the point of them even allowing that on a socket 775 if he's right? i'm not saying he's lying but I'd appreciate a confirmation or citation on that.

so, to take a stab at picking my ram: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=224 seems like a safe choice at first, but i'm wondering why the configurator didn't display it (it's listed there as P4X (=p43), and for that matter, why the configurator even has this motherboard in its predefined list if there are no memory matches.

motherboard specs linked here
    Last edited by d3phext; 02-11-2010, 07:17 AM. Reason: updating after being slightly more informed and confused

You really need to check your mobo's individual specs, Socket 775 has boards going up to 2000 FSB, and 1600 is typical, if you could go another $15-$20 on the mobo, I'd suggest going with a P45 though, especially if you do want to run DDR3 and are thinking of getting a newer CPU for the board in the future.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

You can operate the memory frequency as high as your CPU FSB, so if you are able to overclock the CPU FSB to 1600, you will have no problems with DDR3-1600. The E6750 has a native 1333 FSB, so 1600 should not be a problem.

For DDR3-1600 memory, I would suggest one of the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%201600&name=7

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
      X