F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ & Asus M4A785TD-M Evo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ & Asus M4A785TD-M Evo

I am using Memtest 86+ version 4. I have tested the modules individually and no errors. I have tested both in blue slots and grey slots and get one error in test 6. It is at address 000b47ab744 or 2887.6 MB.

I have tried raising the voltage to 1.6 volts but no change. Any ideas would be most welcome.

with two sticks might check tRFC (if in NS - NanoSeconds will want 127 or 110 (depending on options - else appr 68 if in clicks) also will want Command Rate/Command Timing at 2N (or 2T depending on offerings)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have looked through the bios and do not see anything else related to memory except DRAM Timing Mode with possible settings: Auto, DCT0, DCT1 or Both.

Comment

Should be under advanced timings - and will have to be in manual mode

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Under Dram Timing Mode to both DCT0 and DCT1 I get a long list, but do not see tRFC

I see: TCL, TRCD, TRP, tRTP, TRAS, TRC, tWR, TRRD, tRWTTO, tWRRD, tWTR, tWRWR, tRDRD, tRFC0, tRFC1, tRFC2, tRFC3, TCL, TRCD, TRP, tRTP, TRAS, TRC, tRW, TRRD, tWTR, tRFC0, tRFC1, tRFC2, tRFC3.

Comment

I think the tRFC0 through 3 are the memory slots, so I set it to 110. Now I am getting errors with individual modules. The command rate can not be set according to a thread on the Asus forum about this board. I am beginning to think I should try other memory. Any suggestions?

Comment

Post up pictures of your BIOS and I can see what you may have set incorrectly. Otherwise, you should have no issues with this memory package. Also, what CPU do you have?

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

The processor is an AMD Athlon II 620. I took one module out and gave it back to the person for whom I built the computer. The bios is back to defaults except for memory voltage which I left at 1.6 V. In that he is very handicapped and the computer is his whole life it will take a few days to get photos of the bios.

Comment

I replaced the memory with Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 and set all bios settings including voltage to Auto. Since then no problems.

To check the memory I bought another Asus M4A785TD-M Evo motherboard. All bios settings are on Auto. It has run without problems. The only differences between the two computers is the processor and power supply. I am using a AMD Phenom II X2 550 and he is using a AMD Athlon II X4 620. His power supply is a Corsair VX550 and mine is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V. In that the memory controller is on the processor could this be the reason for his problems?

Comment

Could well be, AMD isn't known for having good MCs, even in the same series of CPUs I've seen where 1 965 would drive a system no problem, but another 965 (same model) would just throw BSODs, have seen the same with 955s and 720s. Generally you can overcome it with adding voltage to CPU, MC, HT or a combination of them.

Tman

Comment

Most interesting but disturbing. This is the first time I have had a problem with AMD processors. Sorting out problems where one has to experiment takes too much time and is very bad for ones reputation. I need bullet proof setups. Would going with faster memory such as F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN reduce the possibility of problems?

Comment

It's the CPUs yes, that cause alot of the problems, in this case it's also the mobo, if you look through the boards here, the EVO is a pain, and ASUS knows it, they've updated the BIOS about 1 a month now and currently don't have an adjustment for Command Rate, it's basically locked at 1T/1N, where as most faster RAM w/ AMD CPUs require a rate of 2T/2N.

With the EVO, faster RAM may just make the problem worse, just today this is about the 3rd or 4th thread I've been in with EVO problems and different sticks....might take a look at:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4264
                        or
                        http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4254
                        or
                        http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4250

Tman

Tman

Comment

I saw a comment about using AMD Overclock to change the memory. If one goes into the advanced rather than novice you can change the Command rate to 2T. It can be saved and applied upon boot. CPUZ says I now have dual channel and 2T. I am stable at 1T but it is good to know it works. Maybe useful to others.

Comment

Originally posted by robwolfe View Post
                            I saw a comment about using AMD Overclock to change the memory. If one goes into the advanced rather than novice you can change the Command rate to 2T. It can be saved and applied upon boot. CPUZ says I now have dual channel and 2T. I am stable at 1T but it is good to know it works. Maybe useful to others.
                            I tried changing to 1T using AMD Overdrive with my 4gigs (2x2GB) of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ and my Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, but when I click on "Apply" it locks up and won't save it.

Comment

The Asus M4A785TD-M Evo bios does not allow changing the command rate which is stuck at 1T. I am under the impression one needs 2T to be stable. As I said above changing the first board to Kingston memory solved his problem. As an experiment I used the G-Skill memory in a another Asus M4A785TD-M Evo board. I changed the processor not thinking at the time it would affect the experiment. Hopefully Asus will get their act together and bring out a bios where one can change the command rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X