Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Maximus III Formula - Please Help with Ram

Hi Guys

Please help me with RAM/Mobo settings. I'm having a bunch of BSOD's with memory warnings. I think this board has a bad default setting for ram, which is also causing issues...default drops to X9 Multipler???

Here are my specs:

Asus Maximus III Formula
    Intel Core i5
    Win 7 64 bit
    2048 x 2 of G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
    Nvidia 7800GTX
    SB Xfi
    OCZ 520W PS

Thanks for your help

to run DDR3 1600 with Core i5 750, you'll need to overclock the CPU bclk to 160 or 200 to reach DDR3 1600
    so, please set the CPU multiplier to about 18 or 14
    you may also need to increase some CPU core voltage(it depends on your CPU)
    as for other settings, you have to set timing to 9-9-9-24-2N, DDR3 1600 and memory voltage to 1.6v
    please tell us how it goes
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
      to run DDR3 1600 with Core i5 750, you'll need to overclock the CPU bclk to 160 or 200 to reach DDR3 1600
      so, please set the CPU multiplier to about 18 or 14
      you may also need to increase some CPU core voltage(it depends on your CPU)
      as for other settings, you have to set timing to 9-9-9-24-2N, DDR3 1600 and memory voltage to 1.6v
      please tell us how it goes
      thanks

G.S
      Sorry to be a total noob but can you be more specific with what settings to change. Should I use XMP?

If I use a multiplyer 14 or 18 wont this be an underclock? Also why use 9-9-9-24-2N. I thought this could run @7-7-7-24???

Currently using these settings

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=846579

Not sure if its stable enough...more stable than default of 1.2Ghz x9 multiplier though

Edit: actually I have no idea why CPU-Z is reporting that config...I'm currently on default setttings 20x Mulit...so weird???
      Last edited by Invisible Hand; 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

sorry, the timing should be 7-7-7-24-2N(DRAM CAS# Latency-DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay-DRAM RAS# PRE Time-DRAM RAS# ACT Time-DRAM Timing Mode)
        it's my mistake

and I don't think it's underclock, since 160*18 or 200*14 are at least equal to the default clock of your core i5 750(2.8GHz)
        you enabled turbo mode so it would run with 24 multiplier
        thanks

G.S

Comment

sorry, the timing should be 7-7-7-24-2N(DRAM CAS# Latency-DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay-DRAM RAS# PRE Time-DRAM RAS# ACT Time-DRAM Timing Mode)
          it's my mistake

and I don't think it's underclock, since 160*18 or 200*14 are at least equal to the default clock of your core i5 750(2.8GHz)
          you enabled turbo mode so it would run with 24 multiplier
          thanks

G.S
          Thanks but I need more help please.

Firstly, the Intel Core i5 750 has a clock speed of 2.66Ghz. The 860 is @ 2.8Ghz. I have the 750

I tried using your settings but with 160*17 and with the 7-7-7-24-2N. I also increased DRAM to 1.65V and CPU to 1.27 but I'm getting errors and BSOD's with the following message:

memory_management

system_service_exemption

I also just ran Memtest V3.5 and it reset after about 3-4 seconds.

Please help

Comment

please try to increase IMC voltage to 1.3v
            thanks

G.S

Comment

please try to increase IMC voltage to 1.3v
              thanks

G.S
              No dice. Just increased IMC to 1.3V and tried to run Memtest again. It fails at about the 40% mark of the first test, just a few seconds in and then reboots. I'll try to memtest each stick on thier own.

Anything else I should try?

Comment

would you like to try DDR3 1600 CL9 first to check if your CPU is able to run DDR3 1600?
                thanks

G.S

Comment

would you like to try DDR3 1600 CL9 first to check if your CPU is able to run DDR3 1600?
                  thanks

G.S
                  Ok so use 9-9-9-9-24-2N, but with what multi for my Intel 750?

Comment

for the CPU ratio, you could try to set to 17 or 16 first
                    it should run at about the default clock of i5 750
                    thanks

G.S

Comment

for the CPU ratio, you could try to set to 17 or 16 first
                      it should run at about the default clock of i5 750
                      thanks

G.S
                      Hi

I used 133 with a 20x multi as that seems like what the default is with DRAM @ 1.65v.

I've Memtested each stick @ 9-9-9-24-2N and they loop with no errors for hours. But in Dual Channel at the same speeds they fail in seconds....What's going on? Why won't this ram run in Dual Channel even at those speeds.

Comment

Do you have command rate at 2T or 2N? Think it defaults to 1T/1N....also what is tRFC and tRC? Are your base timings entered manually....and....do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          Do you have command rate at 2T or 2N? Think it defaults to 1T/1N....also what is tRFC and tRC? Are your base timings entered manually....and....do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?
                          When you say 2N is this for Command Rate? I've now changed it to 2N.

I had DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay at 2. Should I leave this setting on Auto?

I'm using the lates Asus Beta Bios 1009 which says that it has better memory control. I had the same problems using the last version so I tried this one.

Where do I find tRC & tRFC? Does this have another name? I cannot find these settings in Bios.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

They should be in the advanced timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              They should be in the advanced timings
                              In DRAM Timing Control it reads:

9-9-9-24-2-74-10-7-20

Comment

Working...
                              X